More cards required than available.

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathybelle.B

The error message says More cards required than available. What do I do? I'm a first-time online player.

Ingix

Welcome to Dominion Online!

That error message usually pops up when you try to play with cards that you do not "own", or with Black Market if for whatever reason you don't "own" enough cards to fill the Black Market deck.

It can also happen if you tried to load a game with cards you don't own, or in some rare other circumstances.

Can you tell me what happened before you got this eror message? Because if you just go into an automatch game, this should never happen.

blamelewis

Hi, I'm having the same issue in different circumstances.

I've an active gold subscription and have been playing with friends, up to 6 players - however when I add expansion cards to the Kingdom some - not all - of my friends get this "More cards than available" error and can't join the game.

I thought everyone should be able to play with expansions when I'm hosting? Is it a bug or is there a player limit to expansion sharing? I can't find it documented...

Thanks, appreciate your hard work on the game more than ever in these times!

Tim

Ingix

That sounds like a real problem. But can you check that your subscription hasn't lapsed?

blamelewis

Just double checked :) All good through 2021!

T.

Ingix

If that happens the next time, can you make screenshots of the table rules and the preselected kingdom cards?

blamelewis

kieranmillar

Have you set it to respect familiar cards? Some of your friends might not have enough familiar cards selected.

Ingix

That sounds like a very possible explanation, considering that it happens for some friends, not for all.

blamelewis

Good thought thanks - I checked my default settings - haven't had a six player game since.

My default settings when making a table had Respect Familiar Cards unchecked. However the respect liked/disliked/banned checkboxes were unchecked/checked/checked respectively - I'll uncheck them all next time and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help and support
T.

AdamH

With the number of questions you're getting both here and on reddit related to this error message, have you considered making the error message more helpful? Perhaps linking in the client to things that could be easy fixes for this, or perhaps adjusting default settings so that this doesn't come up so often?

artsfols

Ideally you would grey out the selections that are not available.

A simpler initial step would be to have the message make sense.   i.e. "PYou have selected cards not available to you".
It's bad though, because as a beginner I now have to figure out a lot of what is happening under the engine of this game, just to get going.

Ingix

The problem is mostly in the interaction with ohter players. If you are hosting a table, you can't select cards you don't own. It's when you require cards that other people don't want to play with that the problem comes up. I agree with AdamH that a better error message would help, but that might not be easy to do.

semitart

This clearly isn't the issue in blamelewis' case, but as far as Kathy, I find the way that issue comes up most frequently for me is if I accidentally add a way/event/project/landmark slot with "empty" left unchecked when I have none of those card types unlocked-- the solution in that case would be to add the "empty" tag or remove the slot altogether.