Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gamble +Cards ?  (Read 280 times)

Offline dmyze

• View Profile
Gamble +Cards ?
« on: 18 April 2020, 10:40:52 PM »
If I buy Gamble, and get an action card that says +3 cards, and I draw additional treasures, the game won't let me play the additional treasures. I don't know if that's a strict dominion rule, but I have always let people play their additional treasures.

There are other cards that cause this too, but when you are playing with the Gamble event it happens often.

Offline Ingix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gamble +Cards ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
Yes, that's a strict dominion rule. Conceptually, the buy phase has 2 subphases.

In the first subphase you generate money by playing Treasures or converting Coffers to coin.
In the second subphase you spend that money, by buying cards, Events or Projects, or repaying debt.

So you see that the when you buy Gamble, you are already in the second subphase. So any Treasures you draw cannot be played any more.

Of course you can play as you like IRL, but then cards as Gamble or March become more powerfull.

Offline scout423

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2020, 06:00:46 AM »
How then do you explain the rules for Scepter?  Seems the same should apply for Gamble.
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Scepter
"If this causes you to draw cards and some of them are Treasures, you can still play those Treasures."

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2020, 08:56:59 AM »
In Scepter's case you haven't bought anything yet.