Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bug with bot & the Chapel card  (Read 166 times)

Offline Twoowi

• View Profile
Bug with bot & the Chapel card
« on: 20 April 2020, 09:59:43 PM »
Hi

The last two games I've played the AI is making very odd choices. They've both included the chapel and Lord Rattington has discarded all his coppers, leaving him with nothing:

Turn 3 - Lord Rattington
L plays a Chapel.
L trashes 2 Coppers and an Estate.
L plays a Goat. (+$1)
L draws 5 cards.

Turn 4 - Lord Rattington
L plays a Merchant.
L draws a card.
L gets +1 Action.
L plays 4 Coppers. (+$4)
L buys and gains a Merchant.
L shuffles their deck.
L draws 5 cards.

Turn 5 - Lord Rattington
L plays a Merchant.
L draws a card.
L gets +1 Action.
L plays a Chapel.
L trashes 4 Coppers.
L shuffles their deck.
L draws 5 cards.

Turn 6 - Lord Rattington
L plays a Merchant.
L gets +1 Action.
L plays a Merchant.
L gets +1 Action.
L plays a Chapel.
L trashes an Estate.
L plays a Goat. (+$1)
L shuffles their deck.
L draws 4 cards.

This means that he now only has four cards, so is just continuing to play this turn:

Turn 7 - Lord Rattington
L plays a Merchant.
L gets +1 Action.
L plays a Merchant.
L gets +1 Action.
L plays a Chapel.
L plays a Goat. (+$1)
L shuffles their deck.
L draws 4 cards.

Offline josh bornstein

• View Profile
Re: Bug with bot & the Chapel card
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2020, 10:29:22 PM »
Yes, Lord Rat sucks as an opponent in many situations.  He/She will, quite often, buy a crapload of one card (Counterfeit is a prime example), but never use that card properly.  And you've found another example--making a perfectly good buy of Chapel, and then "intentionally" using it as badly as humanly (robotically???) possible.  It does make the games with these cards/behavior no fun at all.  But pretty quickly, you will likely do what I do...I quickly resign when LR starts to self-destruct.  No fun at all playing a game that I cannot possibly lose.

My guess is (a) That Chapel is an exceptionally difficult card to code for, and (b) that fixing this is probably very low on the priority list.  I don't think it's a bug, per se.  It's just dreadful gameplay, and that is due to how some cards are programmed to work inside of LR's games.  (You will see LR buy a bunch of Banks, and then play the banks before playing any other Treasures...I've been hoping for that particular fix since forever.)  :(