Opponents Disconnecting the game when they know they would lose for sure

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapdragon

A lot of people just disconnect the game and never join back when the game is about to end and they know they can't win from there. It can't be a co-incidence or real disconnect issue as players message "GG...Going bye" or "GL-HF" before  disconnecting.   I am left with no option other than waiting for long time before the game ends while I could have won that rated game.

I have faced this multiple times in recent few days.

Any solution for this ?  Shouldn't these disconnects be rated Negative ?

santamonica811

Hmm.  Since they are texting polite congrats before doing this, they are obviously not trying to be jerks.  My guess is that they are simply unaware that disconnecting (vs clicking on the resign button) is a real pain for the non-resigning player.  If it is happening over and over for you, I guess you could also write in the chat, as the game is beginning, "I'm embarrassed to bring this up, but it's happened to me a few times.  My opponent and I have a friendly game but he/she will just disconnect instead of resigning.  Can we agree to either play the games out, or at least use the Resign button if a game gets out of hand?  Thanks in advance."  :)

If someone wrote something like that to me, with a smiley face to show that I'm asking in a friendly way; I would think it's a bit odd.  But once they explain that their request is based on their past experiences--with other opponents--I'd laugh and say, "Sure."

It is interesting to read that it's happened to you a few times.  I guess I've been lucky...hasn't happened to me even once.  [knock on wood] 

jdsdog10

I interpret those remarks very different than bornstein. Disconnecting instead of resigning is a super D**k move. For me it isn't hard to interpret what was said through someone trying to be a d***. I've had this happen many times, but without comments from the other person. Super annoying. Nothing can be done except blacklisting them.

santamonica811

But Dog,
I'd be agreeing with you, if not for their text chats.  Which make all the difference to me.  Just fleeing from a game is indeed a dick move.  But in the case mentioned by the OP, they are making a point to say, Good Game and Bye. That seems inconsistent, to me, with a person who is deliberately doing something that shows bad sportsmanship.

Reasonable minds can differ on this point.  :)

And I rarely play with non-Lord Rat players here...I mostly do IRL games.  So, I'm hardly the voice of experience here.

Snapdragon

I forgot to mention that when they said goodbye... or congrts.... they said it in sarcastic way which means they are making fun of it.

santamonica811

Snap,
Out of curiosity; how can you tell that they were being sarcastic?  It's one of those things that I often find really hard to tell via the written word.  (Is there such a thing as a Sarcastic Emoticon???)

jdsdog10

Bornstein. Yes, it comes down to whether the remarks are sarcastic or not, which you can't really be sure of via text. So the decision is which is more likely: Player saying GG, thus admitting defeat, and either forgetting to disconnect, or coincidentally having his server go out (which is a little too far fetched for me), or possibly a server glitch after he disconnected (I think we would have heard more about this happening though); or the player making a sarcastic comment which is very consistent with the following disconnect. To me it seems a bit more likely to be the latter.

bluey_the_bear

There's also the possibility that they assume closing the tab will accomplish the same thing as a resignation. If they're not being sarcastic, then that strikes me as the most likely explanation.

santamonica811

Bluey,
That was certainly my assumption as well.  Absent some mean-spirited comment in the chat; I'd always assume that if a person just disappeared in lieu of a proper resignation.  :-)