Way of the Turtle + Prince Bug

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold Subscrptn Chick

After you play Way of the Turtle with Prince, when you do play Prince for real, and set a side a card, everything seems fine. BUT at the start of the next turn, the Prince effects don't seem to occur (as if you never set aside any cards). It's been several days so I don't have a game # anymore.

santamonica811

What card did you set aside with Prince?  If you set aside a Duration card, then I think it disappears after one turn and would look sort of like the effect you're talking about.  I've done that a few times and it's maddening...you spent a ton to buy Prince, waited till it matched up with the card you wanted, only to find out that it was worse than useless . . . because now that 4-or-lower card is gone from your deck for the rest of the game, and the Prince is useless as well.

Ingix

I tried it in a game (Turtled Prince, then next turn Princed a Druid), and Druid did its effect the next two turns (then I stopped checking).

I can only imagine that what happened was what Josh described (you set aside a duration card) or you set aside a card that trashes itself (say Embargo), or otherwise moves itself elsewhere (Hores/Experiment).

@josh: When you do set aside a Duration card with Prince, "only" the Prince is "wasted". The Duration card will be discarded as normal for a Duration card (when it's future effects are all done), and so get back into your deck. The Prince will have lost track of it at that time, so its effect is "wasted".

Gold Subscrptn Chick

Quote from: josh bornstein on 02 May 2020, 09:52:27 AM
What card did you set aside with Prince?  If you set aside a Duration card, then I think it disappears after one turn and would look sort of like the effect you're talking about.  I've done that a few times and it's maddening...you spent a ton to buy Prince, waited till it matched up with the card you wanted, only to find out that it was worse than useless . . . because now that 4-or-lower card is gone from your deck for the rest of the game, and the Prince is useless as well.

;D yea I definitely knew how Prince works. Both me and my opponent set aside Market Square iirc. It always started the turn as if we set aside nothing.

Gold Subscrptn Chick

Quote from: Ingix on 02 May 2020, 11:12:42 AM
I tried it in a game (Turtled Prince, then next turn Princed a Druid), and Druid did its effect the next two turns (then I stopped checking).

I can only imagine that what happened was what Josh described (you set aside a duration card) or you set aside a card that trashes itself (say Embargo), or otherwise moves itself elsewhere (Hores/Experiment).

@josh: When you do set aside a Duration card with Prince, "only" the Prince is "wasted". The Duration card will be discarded as normal for a Duration card (when it's future effects are all done), and so get back into your deck. The Prince will have lost track of it at that time, so its effect is "wasted".

Hmm that's strange. Would you be able to try Turtle Prince then Prince Market Square just to confirm? FWIW, we Turtled more than one turn before playing Prince for real. Maybe that made a difference? Thank you!

Ingix

I did, and it worked as it should, (game 42802580), but:

With Way of the Turtle and Prince there is a way to shoot yourself in the foot that I didn't think about before:

Each time you play the Princed card, the game asks you if you want to Turtle the card. And since you Turtled the Prince, the first time you play the Princed card is immediaetly after you set it aside (maybe there are other "At start of turn" effects, like other Turtled cards, then you can can choose the order).

So possibly you where asked how you want to play the Turtled Prince, this turn you decided to actually play it, you selected the Market Square to set aside, then where immediately asked how you want to play the Market Square (normal or using Turtle), which may have been a suprise and you clicked "Turtle" for whatever reason.

If you Turtle a Princed card, Prince will loose track of it, and Prince will not play it again. Maybe that is what happened, at least it seems plausible.

Gold Subscrptn Chick

Quote from: Ingix on 02 May 2020, 11:43:55 AM
I did, and it worked as it should, (game 42802580), but:

With Way of the Turtle and Prince there is a way to shoot yourself in the foot that I didn't think about before:

Each time you play the Princed card, the game asks you if you want to Turtle the card. And since you Turtled the Prince, the first time you play the Princed card is immediaetly after you set it aside (maybe there are other "At start of turn" effects, like other Turtled cards, then you can can choose the order).

So possibly you where asked how you want to play the Turtled Prince, this turn you decided to actually play it, you selected the Market Square to set aside, then where immediately asked how you want to play the Market Square (normal or using Turtle), which may have been a suprise and you clicked "Turtle" for whatever reason.

If you Turtle a Princed card, Prince will loose track of it, and Prince will not play it again. Maybe that is what happened, at least it seems plausible.

Appreciate your looking into this. I'll keep an eye out next time.