Friend accidentally made me resign, now my rating is trashed - can I fix this?

Previous topic - Next topic

shortysax

Hi support team -

I was playing a game with friends, and we were all reading the cards and getting ready to play. The prompt popped up for all of us to make someone else resign, and of course the only option is "yes".  Most of us ignored it and clicked ready, but I believe my friend Se7enLC clicked the button to make me resign and I was kicked out. This was one of my first rated games, and I believe there is a huge penalty for resigning a 3+ player game and my ranking went down 10 or 15 levels!

I am just really getting started and it's really discouraging to see my rank so much lower than my friends who are also just starting out, even if they've lost a few games.  Is there any way to fix this, to potentially expunge that resignation from my ranking?  I think it was game #44763280 or possibly #44763875.  Please let me know if there is anything I need to do!  Thank you so much!

Ingix

Sorry you had this experience in on one of your very first rates games.

Because you have only a few games this will influence the rating heavily. Once you play more rated 3+P games, the influence of a single (resigned) loss will diminish, and you should increase your level again.

Game 44763280  was resigned by "ianslai" before it started, had player "Se7enLC", but no player "shortysax" and was marked as an unrated game. So this fits best what happened, but doesn't include you and was unrated.

Game 44763875 included player "shortysax", but lasted 17 turns and seems to have ended normally when the Province pile ran out.

If you can find the game number, I might be able to do something about this. But the two above don't seem to be that game.

carfax

I resigned my first game as I was trying to play with friends and accidentally ended up in a game with a stranger and had no idea what any of the cards were, plus also strange cards in my starting hand.  Too confusing. I guess my ratings are trashed.

Ingix

As I wrote above, 1 loss will be important now (when you have a small number of games), but no longer be noticable once you played many more rated games (10 or 11 games lost from 20 is a much smaller difference than 0 or 1 games lost from 2).

santamonica811

Are these serious posts?!?  (Real question)  I mean, are there really people saying, "My enjoyment of this online game is significantly damaged, due to having an unfairly low rating for the first week or so."

I would like to believe that we humans are made of sterner stuff.  Please tell me that some of the earlier comments were made in jest!

carfax

Just to be clear.  I was not worried about losing a single game.  What I was concerned about whether "resigning" had the impact of "trashing" one's ratings - as the first post implied, i.e. more significant than just a loss.

Ingix

In a 2-player game a resignation is just the same as a loss, ratings wise.

For 3+ player games a resignation is worse (ratings wise, by a factor of 1.5) than coming last in the normal course of the game. That's because the 3+ player game cannot be finished (you can't simply remove a player, and substituting a bot isn't good because the bot is playing badly/differently), and so the other players can't find out who would have won.

So even if you know you will be last, this encourages you to play on, so the other 2 players (in case of a 3 player game) can determine who wins and give the winner the appropriate ratings increase. You're bound to profit from this when you are the one in the lead and one person is hopelessly behind, and then they don't just resign.

It's the same with any multiplayer game: If one person leaves, the game is often crippled in that it can't be continued.