Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions #2  (Read 148 times)

Offline artsfols

• View Profile
Looking for suggestions #2
« on: 18 May 2020, 10:09:31 PM »
So, after an extensive discussion about how to approach the on-line game, I took the following approach based on the information and suggestions provided to me:
- bought an inexpensive silver subscription,
- played bot games to learn the cards in the expansions available to me,
    (This is done by making a new table in the 'My Table' function, and very quickly pressing 'Add Bot' before an actual player joins in).

So, I'm quite happy doing this, but a new problem presents itself. When will this end?  I have been playing Dominion with cards on and off for a decade, but the number of cards just at the silver level is overwhelming.  I still take 5 minutes or so to study cards before every game.  I don't see myself playing another player for a couple of months yet.

I do know all the mechanics across the expansions - debts, potions, coffers, et cetera.  And the basic card mechanics aren't that difficult to figure out from reading, for the most part.  However, I want to be able to strategize successfully. 

Offline josh bornstein

• View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions #2
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 10:40:38 PM »
First, welcome to the site.  I think you are taking the exact right approach.  (ie, start with the limited cards in Silver, and start with playing games against Lord Rat.)  I think you can play about 5 games in a half-hour against Lord Rat, right?  So, I think, even playing just those few games each day, you will pick up the cards much faster than you give yourself credit for.  After all, at least 75% of the cards are pretty straightforward.  There are cards where the instructions are a bit complicated.  And there are some cards that have unusual interactions with other cards.  But you'll get there faster than you expect.

Once you have the basic understanding of at least most of your cards, you'll be fine to play real opponents.  My advice:  Use The Chat function!  If you find yourself in a game where you do not recognize a card or two, just tell the other person in chat that you need a minute to read the card.  Almost all players remember what they were like when they first started, and they'll be fine with you taking a minute or so at the very beginning, once you have told them your beginner status.  (What irritates people, according to posts at this forum, are players who take a long time thinking about each move, or for many many moves in a game.)  As long as you move reasonably quickly after the starting phase of the game, I think you'll find that 985 of your opponents will be super-friendly.  At least, that's been my experience.

Offline artsfols

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2020, 11:43:12 PM »
That may be all it takes.  I'm certainly prepared to continue on that basis for a few weeks more. I probably play less than some other people do. 
I'm guessing there are about 3-400 cards to learn at the silver level so that is quite a few.
Lord Rat sures does love the 'jack of all trades' card.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2020, 07:43:54 AM »
I'm guessing there are about 3-400 cards to learn at the silver level so that is quite a few.
Silver subscription adds 129 cards to the pool. So 155 including base.

Offline artsfols

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2020, 06:28:08 PM »
Silver subscription adds 129 cards to the pool. So 155 including base.

Thanks. That doesn't seem as daunting. I did get a higher count than you, just now, but I think that's because I'm getting 'Empires' on approval.  Thankfully, that expires tonight because I don't need it.  I can see why this is done: so that I obtain gradual exposure to expansions outside the silver level.

I've also noticed that from the 'Select Kingdom' and also the 'Familiar' cards screens I can review all the cards.