Disable Expansions in Automatch

Previous topic - Next topic

semitart

Hello,

I just purchased the Silver subscription with the intention of familiarizing myself with the expansions in 1v1 unranked play with one of my friends while continuing to play ranked with the base set (as that's what I'm familiar with), but upon my purchase I realized that there doesn't seem to be a way to limit Automatch to base (I figured the Expansions: Yes/No would be a button like all of the other options).

Is there any way I can turn the expansions off for Automatch, or just cancel my subscription and lose them completely? I would be fine with retaining the ability to play Base ranked games at the cost of not having the expansions at all, as I can just play them with my friend in person.

I'd like my leaderboard ranking to be determined by my actual skill at the game, not my lack of familiarity with certain expansions. Once I'm familiar with all of them I'd be glad to add them back in.

Thanks!

Ingix

For ranked games, there is no way to limit yourself to just base cards (or any other subset of what you are subscribed to). I understand that you may see it as disadvantage that others (with no subscription) can play base only rated games, while you cannot.

I see it the other way around: Ranked games should encompass the largest possible card set available to the players, restriction to base only is just a side effect of many players having only this set available.

I would suggest you make a second free account and play your rated games (as base only) for the moment there. When you think you know most of Silver cards, you use your subscription account for rated games.

If you really want, I can ask if the Silver subscription can be undone or maybe "preservered" for some time.

semitart

Regardless of perspective on whether a player should be able to restrict to base or otherwise, there is a clear disadvantage depending on familiarity of cards in that a player with no expansions should theoretically always do better than an equally skilled player who has expansions and isn't familiar with the cards that expansion contains. This advantage no longer exists once the player with expansions is familiar with their cards and their potential interactions. Essentially, I paid to put myself at a relativistic disadvantage. (oops)

Since, as you've noted, my only recourse would otherwise be to create a new account or wait 31 days (which are completely accessible solutions that make no difference to anyone else, just are very inconvenient for me), I don't see a reason why I'd not be able to reverse this.

If you'd be willing, I would like to pursue a solution to this, whether it be undoing my subscription (I'm fine with Shuffle keeping the payment, as I'd like to support dominion.games anyway), "preserving" it as you suggested, or transferring it to another account (I could make a new account to apply it to-- this would essentially be the opposite of the solution you suggested wherein I would create a new account to play base on. In this case, I would have no subscription on my current account and would have a subscription on said new account).

Thanks!