Details On Some Cards In The Game Not Readable

Previous topic - Next topic

GalaxyMagicDragon

I have started to notice with some of the cards in the online game that I can't read the details of each card clearly. For example, with the card philosopher's stone, I cannot tell in the picture what the first 2 letters in its name are, because they blend in with the background on the card. As some proof, I attached a picture of what the picture of the card looks like to this post.

Has anyone else have the same problem reading the cards due to something what looks like in the picture, and if so, could this be fixed in a future update? I await anyone's reply to my post about this.

Thank you.

Ingix

Hi GalaxyMagicDragon,

your card layout is seriously messed up. The Philosopher's stone has the type line with "Treasure" and the cost way too high, so it impacts the text. The other cards also show that the text seems to be too big for the space. It's definitely not supposed to look that way.

From your picture it looks like it's Chrome on Windows 10. I guess this is not an uncommon setup for players, but it's the first time I hear/see about this. Since when does this happen? Was there a recent Chrome update (it broke some things before). I know there was a recent Windows 10 update, but that hasn't been the source of problems before.

Can you check what happens when you use Firefox or Edge?

GalaxyMagicDragon

Hi, Ingix.

I tried all 3 web browsers: Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

On Firefox and Chrome, I found out that the problem was that my text settings for both browsers were set to show the font size at large, which I found out, was the reason why the text was too big.

I change the settings to a smaller font, and the problem seems to be fixed now in terms of the font on the cards being too big. Thank you for recommending that I check all web browsers on that.

However, I also encountered another problem while I was testing the fonts. When I tried to get to the Dominion Online page through Microsoft Edge on its latest update, I get to the screen shown in the picture saying "Your browser is not supported." As proof, I attached a screenshot of the message that I am getting on Edge to this post.

I would like to find out why I only get this message on Microsoft Edge, and not on Firefox or Chrome. As a reminder, I do have Edge on it most current update, so I cannot tell why this message is popping up for me there. Again, Let me know what you can say on the matter.

Thank you,
GalaxyMagicDragon

Ingix

Formally, Edge is not supported, that's why it shows you the message.

Now I just got an update on my Windows 8.1 PC that installed it and it worked OK with the game. But I think there are different versions of Edge out there, some based on Chromium, basically the "engine" of Chrome. It looks like my version is based on Chromium, and your version is still the "original" one that Microsoft made completely themselves.

As a game, Dominion has different demands on text as a normal webpage. The normal webpage doesn't care if a given text is shown with 80 small characters per line and thus say 50 lines, or with 40 big characters per line and thus 100 lines. Since our text needs to fit on the cards, if it is made bigger by the browser to accomodate a larger font size you get the results you posted.

What you can do is to increase the magnification on the game page (CTRL-MouseWheelUp on Firefox/Chrome on Windows). That will not much affect the general game area, but if you right-click a card to see its detailös it will be bigger than normal.

GalaxyMagicDragon

Hi, Ingix.

After reading your post, I decided to take 2 screenshots of what you might be talking about. The first screenshot that I wanted to show you is the one of the settings from my Chrome browser. This screenshot shows where I can change the size of the font on a normal web-page. I will have to post the 2nd screenshot in a separate post, so please read the 2nd post for my questions. I'll continue my questions in my 2nd post with the 2nd screenshot.

Thank you,
GalaxyMagicDragon

GalaxyMagicDragon

Hello again, Ingix.

As promised, I have attached the 2nd screenshot that I wanted to show you in this post. This 2nd screenshot shows what the text looks like when my Chrome settings is set to what I showed in my 1st screenshot from my previous post.

And now, here are my questions, so that I can understand what you told me better:

1. So Dominion Online is treated as a normal webpage, as per the coding set in Firefox, Chrome, etc.? So that would me that if I change the font settings to something different than what I show in the 1st screenshot, than what I would see in the 2nd screenshot would change based on those settings, correct?

2. You mentioned a Microsoft Edge browser that is run by something called Chromium, which is based on Google Chrome. How is that similar or different than regular Edge or Chrome, based on your knowledge, and should I run that and see if Dominion Online would work on Chromium Edge? I'm just asking because this is the first time that I heard about Chromium.

3. You also mentioned to increase the magnification on the Game page itself to see if that helps. Would that be access by changing the Zoom setting on Google Chrome itself, and should I see if that will help, too?

Those are all of my questions. I will await your responses on my questions, and it the meantime, I'll try the tips that you gave me and see if they work. I'll post on this topic again once I find out if these tips you gave me help or not. I'll talk to you soon.

Thank you,
GalaxyMagicDragon

Ingix

First, I can recreate the problem on Firefox and Chrome. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do so that dominion.games uses the standard font size and every other website the larger font size  :( , but see my sugesttion at the end.

1) Yes. When I changed the font to "Large" in the Chrome settings, I get the same kind of problem that you showed. When I changed it back, it was OK again. I assume that will happen for you as well.

2) I don't think Mircrosoft allows different kinds of Edge on the same system, but I'm by no means an expert on this.

3) Yes, you can access that on that page and change the magnification of every website, but you can also change that per web page (as per CTRL-MouseWhelUp/Donw). Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem by itself: If you have the larger fonts enabled, then increasing the magnification just makes the unreadable card bigger, but the coin symbol is still above the text.

So from what I can see, the only solution right now would be to set the font size to normal while you are playing and change it back once you are done. Cumbersome, IMO, and if you want to read other websites while playing, they use normal font size.

One option to prevent that (which I use for myself with Firefox) is to create another profile in Chrome, by clicking on the little person icon in the top right:

That creates another profile, and all settings belong to a profile. So you can change the settings for this profile to work OK with dominion.games (setting font size to "middle", maybe increase magnification), but they don't affect your standard profile, that keeps whatever options you've chosen (like large fonts).

The "Add profile" dialog also creates a new shortcut on the desktop, which you can rename to "Dominion" and use it to start Dominion. It will create a new window, not a tab in your existing Chrome browser, but that's the only difference. This seems to me the most promising approach.

GalaxyMagicDragon

Hi, Ingix.

I like the idea of using 2 profiles to separate the settings between Dominion Online and my other stuff. Would you be able to explain that further for me, so that I know how that works?

Thank you,
GalaxyMagicDragon

Ingix

You don't need to create a new Google Profile or anything for that. In my description I need to backtranslate from my German Chrome, I hope it is understandable.

You need to click on that icon I indicated in my last post. Then a small window comes up that lists the existing profiles (likely only the standard one) and at the bottom should be a line "+ Add" that you can click (marked).

Then a bigger window comes up and you can choose a name (like "Dominion"), an icon (that is overlayed with the Chrome icon, so you can see which profile a given shortcut follows) and the option ("Create desktop shortcut for new user") is already checkmarked (at least for me).

Then you need to confirm with "Add" and you have your new profile and a new desktop shortcut with the chosen icon. If you open Chrome with that shortcut, you can change your settings and make the font size "medium" and set the magnification as you want. The card texts should be OK after that. Your normal profile isn't changed so it uses large fonts as before when you browse the web.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

GalaxyMagicDragon

Hi, Ingix.

I followed the directions that you provided to me about the profiles, and I was able to create a new one successfully. Right now, I don't have any further questions on this topic, since I was able to figure out most of the stuff that you recommended to me after trying it myself. Anyway, if I run into anymore problems on anything mentioned here, or if anything else comes up, I'll post my updates on this topic, but I think I'm okay for now.

However, I would like to thank you for all of the help and recommendations you gave me about how to go around this text problem, and for mentioning some stuff that I personally did not know about, like the profiles and the Chrome and Edge hybrid browser. You were a big help. I hope to continue playing Dominion Online using the tips you gave me to get around the text problem. Again, thank you, and I'll hope to talk to you again in the future if any other problems with Dominion Online arise that I notice in the future.

Thank you,
GalaxyMagicDragon