Village Greens discarded by Vassal trigger twice

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Yes

Game 55869372

Three different times this game I managed to discard a Village Green with a Vassal. Was pretty excited to experience this synergy. All three times VG triggered twice and either this is a bug or there's some rules nuance I don't understand.

The first two times I discarded a VG with Vassal, I elected to play the VG at the start of my following turn. At the start of both of those following turns, I got +2 cards and +4 actions (from only one VG each time).

On the final turn of the game, I played my VG that turn and immediately got +2 cards and +4 actions.

Any ideas? I did a command+f search and couldn't find any other mention of this interaction.

Ingix

Thanks for the report, Professor Yes.

When you discard a Village Green via Vassal, you get to actually play it twice. First, because Village Green gets discarded, so you can play it by its own effect. Second, because Vassal says so!

So what happened is that you actually played it twice and made the same decision (next turn) for both plays on turn 11 when it first happened. Since you had a Way in the game, you had to click lots of times so that may have obscured the fact.

You can see the log here (where "I" replaces your name):

I plays a Vassal.
  I gets +$2.
  I discards a Village Green.
    I plays a Village Green.
  I plays a Village Green.

Then this happened thrice more (turn 13 where you again opted  both times to have the effect "next turn") and turn 17, when you did this trick twice and all 4 times opted to do its effect "this turn".

So this combo is really nice and you can also split the effect (have the first for "this turn", then realizing you have enough Actions for now do the second effect for "next turn").

So all was OK, no bug, just an slightly surprising effect.

Professor Yes

Wow! That's wild. Thank you for the detailed explanation :)