Please make it so players lose extra ELO if they quit

Previous topic - Next topic

ClemFandango

Frustratingly often, players quit during or towards the end of the game, eg if they don't like the cards or are losing. This has happened to me three times this afternoon. I'm assuming players don't lose any more ELO if they quit than if they lose so they have no incentive to stay. In three player games it's even more annoying as it turns into an unrated game for the remaining players, with Lord Rattington joining. Please could this be considered?#

Ingix

This is already dpne for 3P games. The resigning player (even if they expilicitely resign) is considered to have lost 1.5 games vs. the other 2 remaining players.

For 2 player games, maybe this can be done too, in case the player was made to resign by their opponent due to the 4 minute timeout. I'll bring this up with the dev.

jkommelb

YES!  Especially if they time out before the game even begins; I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had people time out before the first hand (never even clicking Start Game) and then, after you force their resignation, they click that they're ready again!  This is absurd and should be punished in some form; if you don't want to play, then don't play.

Quori

Hol up.  Just to clarify...when a player resigns (regardless of when it is during a two player game) they should not lose any more ELO than if they lose the game in normal fashion (all provinces/colonies bought or 3 stacks empty).

Resignation is part of the players control. Conceding a match shouldn't be punished. There are a host of reasons for why someone resigns.

Now quitting and forcing a player to wait the 4 min to force resign them....yes, agreed, extra punishment of some kind should come of that.

bartacus

Qaanol

Quote from: Ingix on 27 January 2021, 07:17:11 PM
This is already dpne for 3P games. The resigning player (even if they expilicitely resign) is considered to have lost 1.5 games vs. the other 2 remaining players.

I am strongly opposed to this.

Some of my worst experiences with Dominion online have been a direct result of this rule.

I have been in 3-player games where I know I can't win, indeed I know I am guaranteed to finish in last place.

But I also know that if I resign it will hurt my Elo more than playing it out.

So I stay, and play, and it is boring, and the game is a slog, and it drags on and on.

And it doesn't just waste my time, it also wastes the other players' time, and ruins the game for them as well.

Because I'm not just passing my turn, no, I'm still playing, but now instead of playing to win, I'm playing to end the game as fast as possible.

So I end up spoiling the match between the other 2 players, because I just want it to be over.

And this is all, 100%, the direct consequence of the rule that punishes me for resigning.

As I understand, the sole and express purpose of that rule is to discourage people from resigning, and that is exactly what it does in these games.

The problem is, that resigning would be the best outcome for everyone involved. It would be best for me, because I know I have lost, so I wouldn't have to waste my time playing a lost game.

And it would be better for the other players in the game, because they wouldn't have to waste time while I play out my turns, and they would also be able to play out the game as intended instead of having me end the game as soon as I possibly can, thus spoiling it for them.

That rule, which punishes players for resigning, is the single source of my worst experiences with the game.

Please remove it, and make resigning exactly and identically equivalent to coming in last place among the remaining players.

Thank you.

Quote from: Ingix on 27 January 2021, 07:17:11 PM
For 2 player games, maybe this can be done too, in case the player was made to resign by their opponent due to the 4 minute timeout. I'll bring this up with the dev.

The 4-minute timeout isn't per se the problem. The real problem is players who stall for 3+ minutes at every action, but never for 4 minutes so they can't be forced to resign.

Perhaps an option could be added for a "chess timer" configured by the host of the table.