Is the gain from Smugglers an option

Previous topic - Next topic

skillwinlucklose

Why does Smugglers sometimes give you the "don't gain" option and other times automatically gives you a card or forces you to choose one?
The text of the card does not appear to give you an option of not gaining if a card qualifies.
Thanks

Ingix

This happens when one of the eligible cards gained by the opponent cannot bei gained by you. Examples include non-supply cards (they gained a Spoils), cards whose pile is not empty (they gained the last City) or the card is otherwise no longer the top card (they gained the 5th Settlers or any Knight).

In this case, instead of making you go through the motions to select a card that you cannot gain, the "Don't gain" option is presented.

skillwinlucklose

Thanks, do I have this right?
If your opponent has gained 2 cards when you play Smugglers, but 1 of them is not available/eligible, you then have the option to not gain the other card.

theWalrus

It's optional in that you always have the option to not play the card (unless Herald or Golem plays it for you).

The fact that the text of the card says "Gain a copy of a card..." instead of "You may gain a copy of a card..." indicates to me that once played, the gain is mandatory, assuming the card can be gained (i.e., from a non-empty supply pile).

Generally speaking, the wording on the cards is pretty precise; "You may trash a card..." is distinct from "Trash a card...".

Ingix

Quote from: skillwinlucklose on 27 January 2021, 08:40:01 PM
Thanks, do I have this right?
If your opponent has gained 2 cards when you play Smugglers, but 1 of them is not available/eligible, you then have the option to not gain the other card.

Yes. You can "try" to gain the other card, then it fails.