Alternative Client - Feedback

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbl

Thanks for the opportunity to test the new client! Since I do not see a designated feedback thread, I open one here. Feel free to move it, whereever it fits best.

The good:
- I like the new way to introduce cards, sorted by types and levels. This looks like a huge improvement when you are starting to learn the game and go from base to silver and gold.
-The new mechanics intro texts are really nice and should help getting accustomted to a new 'level'
-The new symbols in the game itself look way more professional
- The animations are really clear right now
- The new plus buttons are a great improvement too
- I like the new, smaller log

Things to improve
- The new layout reqires landscape mode, when playing on a phone. This is fine, but there should be a hint, when starting in such a resolution. The most recent version is perfectly playable when held up, so it would be nice, if we could reach this state again. As usually, there are couple of interfaces overlapping each other even in landscape mode, but I hope these get fixed over time
- The animations feel pretty laggy right now. I do not know if it is due to their animation speed, or because of technical problems (Mobile, Chrome and Opera, good wifi).
- Same with all interfaces where a lot of card art is loaded (like in the new levels, but also in the card selection)
- Putting the resign button at zhe very left, next to the undo button, calls for many misclicks. A better position would be at the very right, right of the options button. It feels more logical when trying out all options from left to right and it works this way in many other games.
- It is nice that you can hide the action/buy/coins tracker, but if it reqires mandatory actions (like when you have a buy left), it should come up again.
- A close-button for the trash and play area would be nice. I know, it is redundant (you can click on the area to close it again), but it feels more in line with the other interfacees to have an x-button at the top right corner

Ingix

Thanks for the feedback.  :D After the 48h are over we'll look at what's been said in the different places.

DZ

For the levels feature:
Minion is in level 2, but it should be in level 3 (with the other choosing cards).
Werewolf is in level 8, but it should be in level 9 (with the other Doom cards).
Fool's Gold is in level 3, but it should be in level 5 (with the other Reactions).
Groundskeeper and Goons are in level 4 should be in level 6 (with the other while-in-play effects).
Bridge Troll is in level 6, but it should be in level 7 (with Ball).

Also Goons and Rats have their dividing lines in the wrong place.

theWalrus

xpost from Reddit:

I'll post on ShuffleIT as well.

Pros:

Love the new mats feature. Great to be able to see what's on the Trash mat, what's on your taverns, be able to pull up the play areas, etc.

EDIT: I know all of this was technically visible before by mousing over the player par or opening the trash tab, but I like the fact that you can now see it on the main screen.

Looks fantastic

I like the more distinct visual representation of certain in-game actions: shuffling, cards being gained, etc.

Cons:

Mainly, the animation. Would love an option to minimize (preferably) or turn them off altogether. Great at first (look great, and see, bullet 3, above), but very busy, and slow the game waaaay down at times.

Scrying Pool, Chariot Race, and similar animations really slowed the game for me. Not as in, my browser slowed to a crawl playing the animations, but rather that the animations/mechanics took a long time to resolve.

Memory: Gobbled up a lot of memory on my machine playing it.

I think Dominion.games is a fantastic online implementation; this new iteration is another solid entry, though I'd like to be able to tone down some of the visual flair, personally.

Also, I was unable to match with a human player. Saw Donald X on there and was hoping for a game against the master, but alas. I did hammer Lord Rat 110 to -7, which felt oddly rewarding...

The_Pip

Ipad issue using chrome. When trying to re-order cards after playing a night watchman, it was impossible to select a card to re-order it. It just zoomed in on the card, or moved the entire field around.

AdamH

After several attempts I finally managed to get into a game with the alternative client. I'm still poking around but so far it's looking OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE. Some extremely important features have been added and honestly when this goes out I'm going to start more enthusiastically recommending the online client to people.

HUGE improvements:

cards dance in front of you when gained or trashed on turns. Such a huge deal
I can change options in the middle of a game. Such a huge deal
resizable game log

Things I really like:

The interface for discarding/trashing/whatevering multiple cards, where they splay out above and you can adjust them as you see fit -- HUGE improvement. I wish the X on the cards you were moving was more visible -- right now I can only see the corner of it, maybe move the X to the top right corner of the card so you can tell it's an X?

Icons that turn into text when you hover over them

Suggestions to improve:

When choosing a Spirit to gain with Exorcist, if there's a Way present, the Way button shows up on Imp and Will-o-Wisp in the window that wants me to select which card to gain.

undo doesn't appear to work.

The game hangs when it's over.

I don't see the purpose of the "play area" things for each player -- why is that there? Does that get rid of the need for hovering over player names to find out all of the info? If so, yes I'm on board. But when there's nothing there I'd at least like for it to go away, and when it's my turn I don't think I need that there either because I'm looking at the middle for that. There seems to be a separate box for "set aside" which is SUPER nice but yeah that means the play area box isn't doing anything at all for me.

dane

Quote from: theWalrus on 30 January 2021, 05:34:50 PM
Cons:

Mainly, the animation. Would love an option to minimize (preferably) or turn them off altogether. Great at first (look great, and see, bullet 3, above), but very busy, and slow the game waaaay down at times.

I haven't tried the alternative client, but I'm sure I'd second this if I had: I already disliked the amount of animation in the current client!