Obscene usernames

Previous topic - Next topic

skillwinlucklose

Do you remove obscene usernames and is the link to report abusive players the right way to report them?
Thanks

Ingix

Yes, you can report them there as well.

skillwinlucklose

Unlike the stereotype, I don't play this game while hidden away in mommy's basement. I play out in the open in my family room. Sometimes my wife and kids will watch or take a look to see if I'm winning. So, some of the usernames present a problem.  "Yeah kids I'm playing some nice person called "d*ck head" or "kamalac*nt" or "analass" or "f--k____(fill in the blank)"". They also show up in the queue when waiting for a match. Yes, I know I can resign and I do. But why am I penalized when they are the ones that have violated the username rules. I Understand that it's not possible to screen every name and as soon as you remove one, another idiot will join. But, some of these have been reported yet they are still on the site. Are they removed and then rejoin? Can the names be blocked from being used?
Thanks to the devs and mods for the game and this site and all work that goes into it.
To other users; can't we just play for fun and post the politics, vulgarity and anger where it belongs - on Facebook. :)

Ingix

I ban them when they get reported several times for the names. Some are coming back again under slighty different names, there are so many variations on just "Hitler", for example, that are easily recognizable for a human but not for an algorithm. Same for "Black Lives matter" variants trying to subvert that slogan.

The truth is that for some people "fun" includes having provocational usernames, be they sexual or political or otherwise. I don't think there is a consensus on where the border is between "still OK" and "to sexual/political". As I said, I ban what is clearly "too much" to me, which of course is highly subjective.

AdamH

Why don't you just give people the option to not display opponents' usernames when using automatch? Just have it display "Your Opponent" or something. Sounds like everyone can find something that makes them happy here.

dane

Quote from: AdamH on 01 April 2021, 03:04:57 PM
Why don't you just give people the option to not display opponents' usernames when using automatch? Just have it display "Your Opponent" or something. Sounds like everyone can find something that makes them happy here.
Sounds like a good idea, though some thought might be needed to come up with appropriate fake usernames for multiplayer games so that it's easy to see which opponent is being referred to in the log.

AdamH

Easiest would probably be just "Blue" or "Red" or whichever color they are being represented as in the log.

bartacus

nevermindme

There was a user by the name "zyklonB" that I reported a couple of times. They were removed and have now returned with the name "zyklon".