Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How does expansion work?  (Read 264 times)

Offline suet63

• View Profile
How does expansion work?
« on: 24 February 2021, 09:51:43 AM »
I only know the base
Are all expansions requires subscription? If I own all expansion, can I choose to play 1expansion+base in rated games, so that I learn each expansion one by one? Seems I cannot do this in auto queue, so I have to do that in creating manual table right?

I see there are some larger banner cards (event?) in some expansions, it looks something too new for me. Can I avoid them when I first start learning expansion?

Offline Ingix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How does expansion work?
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2021, 11:10:35 AM »
The way it works is that each player "has" some set of cards. If you automatch, the cards are selected from the combined set of cards of each player.

So if you (I assume you have no subscription) are matched with a player that also has no subscription, you two together "have" just the cards from the base set, so your game will consist of only base cards.

If you are matched with me (I have all the cards), the game will consist of a Kingdom from all existing cards, and it can include those banner cards (usually card "landscapes" due to the picture format).

At the moment it is, for a player without subscription, only possible to restrict themselves to base cards, or to whatever there opponent has.

So your example, playing only base + 1 expansion isn't possible.

We are aware of the problem and there is an overhaul of the client in the works.

Among other things, it introduces card pool levels from 1 to 10. The card pool for level 1 is just the base cards, the card pool for level 10 is all the existing cards, and the level's in beetween gradually include more cards, based on concepts. So while landscape cards exist in many expansions, they are introduced only in the card pool for level 7, and then only one kind, the Events. Other kinds of landscape come later.

For rated play, you can then specify: "I want to play at most with cards from card pool level 2."
This way you are not overwhelmed with new cards. As you learn those cards more, you can then increase the card pool level you are comfortable with, at your own pace of playing/learning.

In addition, it will be possible to "pretend" you only have a subset of the expansions you actually are subscribed to. That means you can say "I only have base and Intrigue", so that is your contribution to the card set for a given game. That doesn't prevent your opponent from having more cards, but it helps when you play against a bot, for example.

Together those 2 features should help players like you to ease into the game at a comfortable pace.

Unfortunately, it is unclear when the overhaul will become public, as there are other areas where work needs to be done.

Offline suet63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2021, 02:18:59 PM »
thanks, it's clear and detailed

How about banning cards? I am bad at using Throne room, can I just ban it so it won't appear? I tried it in bot mode, it doesn't work, but if I make it unfamiliar, then it doesn't appear anymore.

Offline Ingix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2021, 02:59:29 PM »
There is a tab in the game named "Cardlists", where you can designate cards as banned, disliked or liked.

If you put a card into the banned list, it will not come up in games, even rated vs. other players.

But: If you are playing a game and both players have the base set only, the banned list is ignored on purpose.

The feeling was that banning 5 cards per player out of 26 would be too much of an impact. There is just one Village, just one Junker (Witch) a.s.o in the base set.

Offline suet63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2021, 03:35:04 PM »
I know the elo doesn't always change right after game, sometimes it took more than a day
I just lose some games, elo change right after game

but I just win the last one, and it ends with skipping the end game page (display how many cards own) and return to lobby without elo changing

I saw many players complain elo not changing since years ago, does it always happen such that it ends up being adjusted (one day), or some data may lose?

Offline suet63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2021, 03:57:53 PM »
just finish another game and my elo changes properly
so I assume my elo in the previous game is 'eaten'.

Offline Ingix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
Your Rating (calling it Elo is not really correct, as it's a different algorithm) is supposed to change immediately after each rated game in the leaderboard tab.

If that doesn't happen (which occurs from time to time), some server likely has a problem  :(
But the game will not be forgotten and the appropriate rating change will be applied later, once the server problem has been  solved.

Now if your game ends without you being shown the end game screen, that is a different problem and might mean the game was not counted at all.

Offline suet63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2021, 07:40:44 PM »
thanks, you are so nice ^_^