Just go for the win

Previous topic - Next topic

Quori

Is it just me or are there an inordinate amount of players who are playing with themselves under the table with the moves they make and manipulation of the deck as opposed to just going for the win?

I mean I dont have any issue with the RNG happening and losing 50 VP - 10 VP. It happens. But some players lately are just in love with the "I must make 45 moves when 3 would suffice" lately.

Anyone else seeing the same?

santamonica811

It's not something I personally have noticed.  But it's why most experienced players (that is, people who have played here a lot, not necessarily excellent players) find absolutely nothing wrong with a resignation.  I, personally, would also include a cheerful "Nice game.  Well played." along with my resignation, but I include that only to bend over backwards to tell my opponent that I'm not resigning due to any bad sportsmanship, hurt feelings, etc.

I think that courtesy is well worth the 10 seconds it takes to type it out.  Other disagree, and just hit "Resign."  YMMV.   :-)

Ingix

It might also be noted that a lot of good strategies go for lenghty turns with lots of Actions played, if that is what Quori refers to. If your turn is "Silver, Silver, Copper buy Wine Merchant", then that wait to get your next turn can get on your nerves, I understand that.

But it just means that your opponent is (likely) doing better in the game than you, as they are building an Engine. I've also seen in other games that when a good player has an advantage, but not so much that it's absolutely clear they will be winning, they go for the 90% probability of win that may take 6 turns, vs. the 80%  probability of win that takes 3 turns.

Quori

@Ingix I think you are more onto what I am talking about, though I disagree that multi card plays are sign of winning/losing. Chaining is a notable and valid strategy, I am very guilty of it in the RL game. What I mean are players who are perhaps chaining but then just buying more chain cards when they had the coins for VP.

Ramping up to purchase every Grand Market so you can by turn 20 have 152 coins and 82 buys and then buy all Provinces and Duchies in one turn as opposed to on turn 7, 9, 11, 12, 15...having bought a Province or Duchy and the game is done by turn 18.

Its gaming the game for the sake of some "OMG DID YOU SEE THAT TURN" Yeah, I am not here for you to get your jollies off. I am here for a match...and more specifically and preferably, a QUICK match. Some decks lend themselves more to that than others; but you can tell when someone is playing to win and when someone is playing to stroke their own ego.

leafyscreen

Hey Quori - I hear you. I have run into that same thing.. It is annoying and I have resigned from games like that but I guess I am not as nice as you. I let them respectfully know what I thought of what they were doing. Then I blacklist them.

Quori

Oh I have done the same in regards to blacklisting!!!

Quori

This is getting ridiculous. I now have 40 players on my blacklist because of this behavior.

Is anyone on the dev team not paying attention and asking "hmm. do we want a toxic shitty community? Should we try to fix it?" or is it just a eff it, let's see how many people will just cancel their subs and quit this because ya know...eff it.

Ingix

Players playing their moves out as they think best is their prerogative. If somebody does this repeatedly, I'll tell them that they don't need to generate $20 and 5 buys on their last turn when $8 is enough to buy the last Province for the win.

Everybody feels bad/bored from time to time when their cards don't connect and they have 10s turns, while their opponent plays 20 Action cards (in a timely fashion, but 20 cards take time).

If you think people are bloating their winning turn to unneeded length, you can resign. If you think people are buying more Grand Markets than they need, there is an easy way to get back at them: just beat them. You'll likey find out that a deck that buys a Province every turn is suddenly going to miss a turn, then a second where it can't do that, because the Provinces are now in your hand, instead of the Golds or Smithies that used to be there.

I see that you are annoyed by this behaviour, but I don't see it as a big problem. Calling the community shitty for that behavior is nor warrented, IMO.

kieranmillar

Quori, do you have example game ids of this behaviour you speak of? I am curious because what I am understanding based on your description does not sound toxic or shitty at all, but rather just someone overbuilding due to inexperience, and I'm wondering if I'm getting the wrong idea.