Resigning as other player completes game ending move -- Rude or not?

Previous topic - Next topic

jkommelb

I'm curious for other peoples' perspectives on this:

If you are about to lose a game (i.e. one province remaining, and it becomes apparent that during the ongoing turn, your opponent will have enough to purchase that province, which will win them the game), is it acceptable to resign or is that rude?  This has happened to me a number of times, and I often feel a little twinge of annoyance; however, conversely when I am the one losing, I may feel a little bit of an attitude of "get it over with" if the person isn't ending it immediately. 

So, thoughts?

dane

Quote from: jkommelb on 01 April 2021, 07:11:26 PM
I'm curious for other peoples' perspectives on this:

If you are about to lose a game (i.e. one province remaining, and it becomes apparent that during the ongoing turn, your opponent will have enough to purchase that province, which will win them the game), is it acceptable to resign or is that rude?  This has happened to me a number of times, and I often feel a little twinge of annoyance; however, conversely when I am the one losing, I may feel a little bit of an attitude of "get it over with" if the person isn't ending it immediately. 

So, thoughts?
I adopt the policy of resigning only on my own turn, given that I do sometimes get irritated by another player's resignation in the middle of my own turn.  The ones that really irritate me are the resignations that occur between my clicking on 'Autoplay treasures' and being able to click on the Province.  I'm not irritated if someone resigns because I now have a dozen cards in hand.  There has been at least one occasion when such a resignation occurred while I was thinking "Why am I drawing all the dross in my deck?  Where's my treasure?" ☺

dcrefresh

It seems a little abrupt, but I don't take offence.  If I'm going to resign I like to put a message in the chat.

Just recently I have started to see another behaviour: A player disconnects just as it is apparent they will lose. This turns the game to a draw.  I'm sure sometimes it is just genuine connection problems, but it seems prevalent amongst a few higher rated players when about to lose to a lower rated player (presumably preserving their rating is important to them).  Again, I don't really take offense, but it seems a shame if, for some players, the competitive rating aspect has significantly surpassed the simple enjoyment of playing the game.  I hope that everyone I play is getting some enjoyment and not getting stressed by the outcome.

jkommelb

It doesn't make it a draw, but it DOES make it so you have to wait out the 4 minutes to make them resign.  That is undoubtedly against the site's rules, and should be reported every single time.

no expansions

a win is a win i don't care if they afk and i force them to resign or they resign themselves or the games ends normally with the province or piles empty.
i usually play on both my laptop, pc and tablet at the same time so i'm too focused on what move i should make next and don't care what the opponent does

Quori

Not rude, just abrupt. I've done this very thing, normally stating "GG" or similar in the chat. When a chess player lays down their king does the opponent get pissed and flip the board?

It seems rude because you perceive it as "rage quitting" or something similar; when (and I can only speak for myself) I am simply saving time. Yes it may seem like not much, but when I sat through a lengthy action based game for 30 min....do I really need to sit for another 2 min while my opponent runs through their entire 42 card deck just to buy the last card and end it? Not really.

In the end, a resign is conceding the match. Take it as the win it is and move along. Don't assume offense or rudeness when none was presented.