News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Priest + Sewers

Previous topic - Next topic

wdmartin

The Sewers project says: "When you trash a card other than with this, you may trash a card from your hand."

The Priest card says: "+2 Coins. You may trash a card from your hand. For the rest of this turn, when  you trash a card, +2 Coins."

If you play a game with these two cards, Sewers correctly triggers when you trash a card with Priest.  But if you then trash a card using the Sewers, you do not get the +2 coins that Priest is supposed to give you.

Example game ID: 73907967.

Ingix

That's the correct behaviour, though it sounds wrong at first. Find an explanation here:

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=3318.msg14618#post_PandS

It's a common error many players (including me) made at first encounter with that combo.

wdmartin

That is totally counter-intuitive. Is that how it's supposed to work per the rules as written, or is it a limitation of the engine?

That is, if I'm sitting at a physical table with physical cards and have Priest and Sewers in play, am I supposed to play it identically to how it's implemented here?  Or is it a side effect of limitations in the code base?

Ingix

Quote from: wdmartin on 19 May 2021, 10:19:05 PM
That is totally counter-intuitive. Is that how it's supposed to work per the rules as written, or is it a limitation of the engine?

That's how the rules say it works. In my link I tried to give a short reasoning, basically the whole trashing of both cards is over before Priest comes to the part where it promises to pay for more trashes this turn.

It's natural to consider the whole card at once, then when the Sewer trashing happens it feels as if the Priest promise has already been made, but it hasn't.

wdmartin

Okay, I guess I can see it.  It just doesn't sit well with me.

Oh well.