News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Game Lag

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeal

Game play has been extremely slow for the past week. I see a few other recent complaints all relating to Google Chrome which is my browser. I am using Version 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit) of Google Chrome. Any suggestions would be appraciated.

TheSeal

I tried another game with Microsodt Edge. It's just as laggy.

Ingix

Edge is just another browser using the same core as Chrome, so the differences are likely small. The Chrome problem you mentioned seems to have sorted itself out, I got a few "It works now" posts, and no new reports.

Generally lag is a server side problem, then it hits everybody; or connection related, where for whatever reasons the packets are reaching the server and/or your device with a delay. I'm not sure what it is in this case. Are you playing vs. a bot or other human players?

TheSeal

Humans.

The lag is definitely on my end. I even had an opponent threaten to report me for slow play. It is only with this site. All other sites seem to load fine.

When I test my connection speed at meter.net, all the numbers check out.

I checked Tampermonkey scripts and browser extensions. None show as running on this site. Just to be sure I disabled them all. No change.

Next thought?

TheSeal

I have installed Firefox and still experience the same problem.  The first few turns were normal, then it just bogged down again. I have cleaned my cache and cookies, I've run Malware Bytes repeatedly. This is the only site where I have a problem.

The lag I am experiencing is after clicking a card it takes at least 10 seconds before it plays. The log usually shows the play before I see it and can play another card.I have card animation turned off.

I looked at the Console in both Chrome and Firefox and see no errors. There's a warning about audio but I think that's just because I have the sound turned off.

My play is so slow I'm going to get blacklisted by every other player out there. It would probably not be a bad thing for me to play less Dominion but this is a really annoying reason for that to happen. Help!

TheSeal

Forgot to mention one problem solving approach. I tried a game against Lord Rattington. Same issue.  At least he won't Blacklist me.

Ingix

Thanks for the reports on what you tried. It seems that for whatever reasons the connection is slowed done, but likely not on either end but in between.

Can you try the following command in a command window (assuming Windows, it should be the same on a Mac, AFAIK)

ping dominion.games

That establishes a simple connection to the site and measures the time until the server anserers. I get times around 100ms, which isn't great for action games but not a problem for Dominion.

TheSeal

Interpreting those results is above my pay grade  ;D Here you go.

Pinging dominion.games [83.217.82.91] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 83.217.82.91: bytes=32 time=197ms TTL=44
Reply from 83.217.82.91: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=44
Reply from 83.217.82.91: bytes=32 time=202ms TTL=44
Reply from 83.217.82.91: bytes=32 time=195ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 83.217.82.91:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 191ms, Maximum = 202ms, Average = 196ms

TheSeal

Here's my system info if it helps. I just installed the most recent Windows update yesterday as part of this troubleshooting.

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version   10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   DESKTOP-L6FFM40
System Manufacturer   Dell Inc.
System Model   XPS 13 9360
System Type   x64-based PC
System SKU   082A
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   Dell Inc. 2.14.2, 7/13/2020
SMBIOS Version   3.0
Embedded Controller Version   255.255
BIOS Mode   UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer   Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product   0TPN17
BaseBoard Version   A00
Platform Role   Mobile
Secure Boot State   On
PCR7 Configuration   Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "10.0.19041.1081"
User Name   DESKTOP-L6FFM40\Christina
Time Zone   Mountain Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory   7.73 GB
Available Physical Memory   2.06 GB
Total Virtual Memory   15.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory   8.04 GB
Page File Space   7.73 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection   Off
Virtualization-based security   Not enabled
Device Encryption Support   Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware   Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection   Yes

TheSeal

And now for no obvious reason, everything is back to normal. I wish I understood what happened so I can prevent it unless a behind the scenes change was made.

Ingix

Again, thanks for trying things out. This is something I've seen a few times, that problems go away for totally unclear reasons. I think one server was restarted yesterday, but AFAIK nothing more series happened here.

TheSeal

Ugh!  Now it's happening again. So frustrating.

TheSeal

The lag continues. It is beyond frustrating. It is certainly breaking me of my Dominion habit. My subscription ends soon. If the lag is not gone permanently by then, time to spend my money on another game.

Ingix

I'm sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's hard to find the reason for such spurious and narrow problems.  :(