3 Pile Win

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingix

Ranking just takes into account win/loss/draw, not by how much.

sudhish86

i've been told i was going to get reported for various things (words, not taking a mindlessly fast turn).....some people are very sheltered and seemingly live as if everyone else is their soulmate depending on their validation, and others are extreme sociopaths wanting to validate themselves by a visible game rating, regardless if they abuse players or cheat...

not much can be done about this sheltered mentality (ie "everything but x/y bothers me")

Davio

Quote from: no expansions on 22 October 2021, 02:29:49 AM
Quote from: Ingix on 19 September 2021, 08:49:44 AM
My own personal pet peeve is that doing the last thing, while may be fun for you, is not fun for your opponent. You are not doing something to win the game, you are doing something that objectively (in 99.9% of case) ist a time wasting procedure. The difference is that for you it's a good time (you are winning, yay!), while for your opponent it's a bad time (they are losing). I can guarantee you that your "good time" will have the same length after you "know you win", even if you forgo the Curse buying, while your opponent can, if they want, dive right back into the next game to cut their "bad time" short.

So just take the win when you have it, buy a Curse only when it actually makes you win (I won once by 1 point from buying my 1st Curse giving me 2VP from Museum), and similarly, don't by 1 Province, 2 Duchies and 3 Estates when just the Province ends the game and wins it for you as well. Your opponent will have a slightly shorter "bad time", while you loose nothing of your good time. And you may silently thank your opponent for doing so when you are on the loosing end of a game.

does it matter in rated games how many vp you win by? or is the ranking only based on win/lose
It's probably only the latter, the amount of VP's often doesn't resemble how close a match was. Imagine 2 players building competing engines, buying no victory card until they can win the game in one turn and the final score is 48 - 0. That doesn't mean the losing player was playing bad.

It's like in a chess game, if the King is checkmated it doesn't matter how many pieces are left.

Ingix

Quote from: Davio on 23 November 2021, 01:03:56 PM
does it matter in rated games how many vp you win by? or is the ranking only based on win/lose
It's probably only the latter, the amount of VP's often doesn't resemble how close a match was.

That's right. VP totals (and maybe turns taken) determine the rank each player has in the game, and that alone is used to determine how much the result will change your rating. So for example resinging wheh you are hopelessly behind will not be any worse for your rating than loosing by 1 VP.

SkyHard

Quote from: Ingix on 23 November 2021, 05:55:37 PM
Quote from: Davio on 23 November 2021, 01:03:56 PM
It's probably only the latter, the amount of VP's often doesn't resemble how close a match was.

That's right. VP totals (and maybe turns taken) determine the rank each player has in the game, and that alone is used to determine how much the result will change your rating. So for example resinging wheh you are hopelessly behind will not be any worse for your rating than loosing by 1 VP.

Are you sure? What about 3 or 4 player games?

Ingix

I was talking about 2P games (which I didn't mention, so my bad).

If you resign in 3P+ game, you loose more rating than if you just came last. That's because you effectively destroy the way for the remaing players to have a meaningful result between them, as the game can't be finished. So this is intended to discourage resigning in rated 3P games.