Should I go for 'gold'?

Previous topic - Next topic

artsfols

I quite enjoy playing at silver level on the ladder.

I wouldn't mind more of a challenge, but when I encounter gold level expansions in play, I don't really enjoy those cards at all.  Too much weirdness.  Like the Possession card, for example. 

I wouldn't mind hearing from players that have played at silver level, and then moved to gold.  Mixed, negative or positive feedback.  If everyone is positive, I'll make the leap in spite of my misgivings.

Ingix

I'm a Gold subscriber since the beginning (just for reference).

The question is do you dislike many of the Gold level cards (those in the Gold sub but not the Silver sub), or "just a few"? Possession is widely recognized as a very strange card and many players have banned it from their games (you can be 5 cards + 3 landscape cards, and also dislike (50% lower probability than normal cards) the same amount).

It's true that the newer expansions all introduce new mechanics and getting them "all at once" with the Gold sub instead with 1 per year with a new expansion is a daunting task. The plan to have more levels than base only, Silver, Gold has been worked on, but it's unclear when it will be implemented.  :-[

artsfols

Quote from: Ingix on 30 September 2021, 08:34:22 AM
I'm a Gold subscriber since the beginning (just for reference).

The question is do you dislike many of the Gold level cards (those in the Gold sub but not the Silver sub), or "just a few"? Possession is widely recognized as a very strange card and many players have banned it from their games (you can be 5 cards + 3 landscape cards, and also dislike (50% lower probability than normal cards) the same amount).

It's true that the newer expansions all introduce new mechanics and getting them "all at once" with the Gold sub instead with 1 per year with a new expansion is a daunting task. The plan to have more levels than base only, Silver, Gold has been worked on, but it's unclear when it will be implemented.  :-[

You've expressed my concerns very well.  Is there a way to add one expansion at a time to my arsenal?  I have encountered people in play that have done just that, somehow.

Ingix

No, there is no such general way. In some countries, including Germany, some (all?) boxes come with codes that can be redeemed on dominion.games for getting 1 year of 1 expansion. I guess that is what those people did.

artsfols

Quote from: Ingix on 01 October 2021, 09:50:37 PM
No, there is no such general way. In some countries, including Germany, some (all?) boxes come with codes that can be redeemed on dominion.games for getting 1 year of 1 expansion. I guess that is what those people did.

No doubt what I encountered.

I was thinking about your comment on adding levels.  Is there an abstract or 'elevator pitch' on what is being contemplated?  Or a discussion thread?

Ingix

Basically it's 10 levels from 1 ("base only") to 10 ("all existing cards"), where level 2 for example are "non-complicated" cards (Menagerie and Armory, for example). Each expansion has some of them. Then level 3 introduces simple Duration cards, choice cards, a.s.o.

artsfols

Quote from: Ingix on 03 October 2021, 10:34:24 PM
Basically it's 10 levels from 1 ("base only") to 10 ("all existing cards"), where level 2 for example are "non-complicated" cards (Menagerie and Armory, for example). Each expansion has some of them. Then level 3 introduces simple Duration cards, choice cards, a.s.o.

I think that could work quite well.
I'm guessing that you would match according to a range - i.e. i wish to play in levels 0 to 3, or levels 5 to 7.
If two players are matched with levels (X,Y) versus (M,N) such that the ranges overlap, then you'd play at the min of (Y,N), I suppose.

It would mean I could buy gold expansion but gradually ease into the additional mechanics.
No idea how that impacts the ladder algorithm but I'm sure brighter minds can figure that out.

Anyway, sounds promising.