Chat accusation “BOT” ?

Previous topic - Next topic

denti

So I played two games against the same user just now. First game I lost. I should've known not to play the same user again, since they were commenting on my plays, never an auspicious sign of good game behavior. Anyway, the second game I won fair and square. As soon as the game ended the player wrote "BOT" and then "BLOCKED" in the chat and left.

First, were they accusing me of being? or using a bot? Is that even possible? I assume it's meant as an insult ("you wouldn't have won if you didn't cheat").

Second, the game number does not appear after the game ends. This would be useful for reporting users (which I don't plan to do in this case). Is there a way to see it after the game has ended or do I have to do a screenshot with every game to be sure I have it?

Ingix

A few unscrupulous players use some automated tool to remind them of when the time limit for their next click is about to run out, so they can deliver it a few seconds earlier. This is sometimes referred to as a "timer bot".

I assume the meaning of the line in chat was to accuse you of slowplaying, meaning to manually or automatically wait a long time between clicks in order to provoke the other player to resign because they don't want to waste their free time waiting.

Yes, the lack of an easily visble game number in the end-of-game screen has been commented on quite often. You usually can scroll up the chat window to find the green messages, telling you when a game begins, including the game number.

Generally, you know already during the game if you want to report a player, so you can just write it down during to be used later. But I agree, having it easily accessible on the end-of-game screen would be much better.

denti

I wasn't playing slow at all, so I don't get the accusation. They were just mad they lost, I guess.

AdamH

If someone out there makes a bot that plays games on Shuffleit and is any good at all, I'm extremely interested in that bot. Please @ me thx.

Even if it's not good I'm actually still interested.

vail62

Quote from: denti on 05 November 2021, 02:32:28 AM
I should've known not to play the same user again, since they were commenting on my plays, never an auspicious sign of good game behavior.

People who act like this in games are awful. Additionally, people who can't win with grace Definitely can't lose with grace.

leafyscreen

My guess would that you played the game similar to the bots (buy few action cards and a lot of money and start buying victory cards early - a legitimate strategy) and that upset their ability to get their engine going. So they accused you of playing like a bot.

santamonica811

When the person was commenting on your moves, did you take the few seconds to ever respond?  If you did, then the other person would know that they are not playing against a bot...although you might, of course, be using a bot to help you play, keep track of time, etc, as earlier posters have noted.

Sorry that you had to experience this sort of bad sport...but (based on other posts in this forum) it does seem to be happening much less frequently than in the past.  Hope that's true, anyway.  :-)

artsfols

Quote from: leafyscreen on 24 December 2021, 03:22:59 PM
My guess would that you played the game similar to the bots (buy few action cards and a lot of money and start buying victory cards early - a legitimate strategy) and that upset their ability to get their engine going. So they accused you of playing like a bot.

That is a highly likely explanation.  I use this strategy often when playing up 2 levels; higher level players are better engine builders than I am.  And yes, I have had very occasional rage quits as a result. One person, whose avatar name was that of a particularly sexy movie icon, unleashed a tirade of profanity at me.  I have occasionally fancied the idea that I actually did play that actor.  Of course, if that was the case, they'd be even less likely than you or I to use their own name.