Any way to speed up pointless "everybody takes their turn" cards?

Previous topic - Next topic

bill68

Played a 5p game with Ghost Ship today. That's painful enough, but it's made 5x worse because when GS is played, everybody discards one at a time. It seems really unlikely to me that anybody needs to see what the prior players did to plan their discard, shouldn't everybody just be able to discard at the same time? Or at least have the option to do that? Is there some way to let this happen?

I've seen similar problems with a few other cards. Attack cards can be fun, but the way that dominion.games implements some of them makes them so bad that I just want to quit any game where I see them. I know about ban lists, but I'd rather just speed up the UI so that they become playable!

kieranmillar

Unfortunately in the complicated world of Dominion, it is possible for more things to happen in the middle of an attack resolution, so they have to be resolved one at a time. IRL you get to shortcut things like this but computers need to follow the rules.

As a slightly contrived example, player A plays Militia. Player B discards, but discards a Tunnel, which they react to gain a Gold. This allows them to react a Sheepdog in their hand, but they play it as Way of the Mouse which is acting as Vassal, which discards and plays a Witch. Now player C gets to react a Watchtower to trash the incoming Curse. Player A gains a Curse. Now Player C discards to the Militia attack and discards their Watchtower.

There's no way to deal with shenanigans like the above without just stepping through everything. And OK, you could argue, maybe there's a way to allow people to preselect discard attacks while waiting on other players, and work out when cards are present that may require a slower resolution and only slow down in that case, but this sort of code would get extremely complicated in a hurry, and changing the UI in some cases or constantly asking players to reconsider their preselected choices would also be pretty bad.

Some cards just aren't great for games with large player counts. For example, there's no possible way to come up with an interface to speed up Jester resolution, which mandates a decision per opponent in a specific order.