A couple of display bugs with exile/set aside boxes

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

game #96506734 on tokyo.

I was pretty focused on what was happening in the game so I can't say exactly what caused this, but I attached an image of what happens when I hover over my "set aside" box on the turn where I piled Blessed Villages and had a few Boons set aside for next turn. There is an empty box with nothing in it.

Another thing, not specific to this game, is that sometimes when my mouse cursor exits the Dominion window somewhere on the corner of the screen where these "Exile" or "Set Aside" boxes are, the boxes get stuck in this weird state where now they are always up until I hover over the box again. These boxes should only appear when my mouse cursor is in the window AND it's hovering over the "Exile" or "Set Aside" box and shouldn't be there if my mouse cursor is not in the browser window at all.

AdamH

I'm doing a bit more experimenting with this game state to try and figure out what's going on. It looks like I'm able to click on the "Set Aside" area to make the boxes stay up so I can drag them around and see where the yellow swooshes lead to. The yellow swoosh that comes from the empty box leads to somewhere early in the turn but doesn't give a yellow border around the card it's pointing to (the other ones are putting yellow borders around the Blessed Villages in play which I assumed were gained this turn, but that seems weird to me, shouldn't they be pointing to the Falconers that gained them and caused the Boons to be given? The yellow borders still seem to be there after I close the Set Aside boxes as well.) I didn't gain any Blessed Villages this turn until later in the turn than what the yellow swoosh from the empty box could be pointing to. Weird.

But then I've clicked the "Set Aside" area and these windows are stuck being visible. I have to close each one individually, it would be nice if clicking the "Set Aside" area would close all of these boxes too. I feel like I'm constantly individually clicking "X" boxes to close tons of windows that are popping up and staying there when they shouldn't be -- the interface would probably be cleaner if the boxes showed up when I hovered over the right area and clicking the area didn't keep the boxes up at all.

Ingix

Thanks for the report, Adam!

The "strange" thing that I can see here is that the screenshot shows there are 2 objects in the Set Aside area, but it only shows one (the Sky's Gift). Your opponent seems to be able to see both Boons, judging from the chat.

The idea behind the "yellow swooshes" is likely something that needs some refinement.

AdamH

Quote from: AdamH on 01 March 2022, 02:53:58 PM
when my mouse cursor exits the Dominion window somewhere on the corner of the screen where these "Exile" or "Set Aside" boxes are, the boxes get stuck in this weird state where now they are always up until I hover over the box again. These boxes should only appear when my mouse cursor is in the window AND it's hovering over the "Exile" or "Set Aside" box and shouldn't be there if my mouse cursor is not in the browser window at all.

After a few months and what I assume are other bugfixes, this issue is still around and is by far the most annoying thing on the client. I am constantly closing windows and it's incredibly annoying. Is this going to be fixed any time soon? In particular it's the trash that's the most annoying. After playing a lot of games like this I think the interface would be improved by a lot if you had to actually click on the trash button to see the trash, and having the hover function disabled entirely for viewing the trash. The other buttons are out of the way enough that the hover seems fine IMO.

Ingix

I'll bring this up again. Recently there was a test version that did not work on hover but only on click, but the current live version is still using hover. Also I can produce this problem witout the mouse leaving the game area.

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 22 May 2022, 09:57:30 AM
Recently there was a test version that did not work on hover but only on click, but the current live version is still using hover.

When can we expect this bugfix to be in the live version? It's been quite a while and this is such an annoying thing to deal with.

Ingix

I just inquired about the status. It looks like a hover version without the problems is in the works.

AdamH

The release today is an improvement. The box doesn't stay up quite as often as it used to when I move the mouse cursor out of the window. It also seems to go away every time when the mouse cursor comes back into the window somewhere.

But I can still get the box to show up when I leave the window with the mouse cursor some of the time. Also, whenever I move the cursor around within the trash/exile/set aside/etc. area, the box flashes on and off -- it looks awful. If the cursor is not moving the box stays up, but each pixel I move my cursor, the box disappears and comes back.

Ingix

Yes, the flickering is noticable and I assume that change is the due to the method used to fix the "staying out" trash window. I also hope it can be removed/lessend.

I think the problem of a mat staying out when you move the mouse out of the window will be hard to remove completely, as AFAIK there are simply no more messages coming in then, same as if the mouse cursor didn't move.

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 30 May 2022, 01:59:46 PM
I think the problem of a mat staying out when you move the mouse out of the window will be hard to remove completely, as AFAIK there are simply no more messages coming in then, same as if the mouse cursor didn't move.

Well the solution is to have the option to disable the hover ability for these things and change it to when it's clicked. The interface as it is now is extremely annoying.