Order of Masons + Village Green

Previous topic - Next topic

Melawe

Village Green says, "When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to play it." I spent a good portion of a game using this over and over with Fool, but when I discarded it using Order of Masons, I was not offered the option to play it.

My suspicion is that it was not discarded from play, so it didn't trigger the effect, but the card does not say 'discard this from play' so that is not the correct behaviour. That is just my guess about what is happening, though.

Ingix

That is correct behaviour. Order of Masons was carefully worded to not say "discard some cards". Instead it says:

... put into your discard pile.

That puts the cards into your discard pile, but is not discarding them. The reason for this choice of words is exactly to prevent the situation you described (and others, like with Tunnel): While you are managing your modified shuffle, what would it even mean to play Village Green and draw a card from its text now? Since you are shuffling, there is a good chance that you do not have a deck right now.

Unfortunately, the UI uses the word "discard", adding to the confusion.

Melawe

Oh, that's very interesting.

In answer to your question about what it would even mean to draw a card while shuffling because you wouldn't have a deck to draw from, game rules cover this in that whenever you would draw a card and there aren't enough cards, that you shuffle and then draw (this also covers 'reveal the top card of your deck' etc), so wouldn't you simply finish the shuffle, put the cards down, and draw as needed?

However that I guess is moot since you are putting, not discarding.

Thanks!