Sorceress didn't ask me to name a card when playing a 'continue with bots' game

Previous topic - Next topic

vinay

Finished off a game with Lord Rattington, #98324412. I played a Sorceress twice (I believe on turn 25 and 26) and the game just revealed a card and put it in my hand, it did not give me the option to name a card.

I suspect this problem is unique to bot games or maybe even "continue with bots" games because I've used Sorceress in the past on regular games and it has worked as expected.

Ingix

This is the intended behaviour for Sorceress and Sorcerer once the Curse pile is empty (which it was in this case, due to Familiars). No use asking for guesses when there are no consequences for the result.

santamonica811

Ingix,
I don't think your last sentence is correct.  (Rather, I mean that it should not be correct.)  Sorcerer is supposed to force each opponent to reveal to you (and, I gather, to other players in a 3+ person game), her top card.  That's the first prong of the attack.  This gives you information.  Gaining a curse of they incorrectly guess is the second prong.  Depending on the kingdom, me knowing opponents' top card can be crucial information.  Ex: Being able to find out, via this attack, that the other player(s) have a Province on top of her/their deck, before having to decide whether or not to next play my Swindler (or, in older games, Saboteur).  Obviously, that information is completely different from whether or not there are any curses left.   

I admit that I'm not seeing a similar issue with Sorceress.  (I am aware that the OP related to Sorceress.  I'm just reacting to the information from you--news to me!--that it also applies to Sorcerer.

But I think this is far from an edge case.  A decision to play other cards (or, the order I'd play them) also could depend on what you are forced to show, when you reveal your top card.  Possession is another example, I think.

Ingix

Josh,

I didn't say the card is not revealed, which does happen in both cases, there is just no guessing going on before that happens.