Exiled Border Village

Previous topic - Next topic

leafyscreen

I Cameled a Border Village. (exiled it).

The next turn I bought a Border Village and retrieved the exiled Border Village.

If I understand the rules right about gaining, when you claim a card from exile, you gain it. I thought I should have been able to get 2 cards for < 6, because I gained 2 Border Villages. (one bought, 1 retrieved from exile). But I was allowed to get only 1. Is that a bug?

santamonica811

This general issue has come up in a number of threads.  Dominion goes not consider "getting" from exile to be "gaining" it.  Linguistically, of course, this is a weak read.  But Dominion has been pretty consistent about this.  There are several ways that one should get something good (eg, coins, villages, VP) or something bad (curses) when a card is gained, per the language on the card.  As far as I can tell, getting via exile has never triggered those secondary effects.  You could make the cards' language more accurate, I suppose; but that would mean rewriting a lot of cards, so that they read, "...whenever a card is gained,except when gained from an Exile Pile..."

kieranmillar

The Exile section of the Menagerie rulebook is very clear.

QuoteExiling a card from the Supply is not "gaining" the card, and will not cause "when you gain this" abilities to happen. Discarding a card from your Exile mat is not gaining it either.

leafyscreen

Thank you for that clarification. Somehow I missed that in the rulebook even though I looked for something about it several times when we played the table version.

Because I couldn't find it, we followed what the online game did.