is it possible to turn off point counter?

Previous topic - Next topic

ehunt

If not, I would like to make that a feature request.

severly

Fourth...although I'm wondering if ShuffleiT is looking at this thread.

Cave-O-Sapien

I'm assuming this would also include truncating or otherwise masking the game log.

severly

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 10 February 2017, 12:37:26 AM
I'm assuming this would also include truncating or otherwise masking the game log.
That would be nice as well.  The thing about the point counter is that you immediately see where you are in the game.  "If I buy the last Province I see I will lose"  The counter is so prominently displayed it is hard to ignore it.  You would have to go through the log to determine exactly where you are and if that is what you are wanting to avoid that because it takes the strategy of keeping track of who bought what out of the equation, then you just don't sift through the log.

An option to adjust the log would be nice, but a simple option to display or hide the point counter would suffice for me.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: severly on 10 February 2017, 12:44:22 AM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 10 February 2017, 12:37:26 AM
That would be nice as well.  The thing about the point counter is that you immediately see where you are in the game.  "If I buy the last Province I see I will lose"  The counter is so prominently displayed it is hard to ignore it.  You would have to go through the log to determine exactly where you are and if that is what you are wanting to avoid that because it takes the strategy of keeping track of who bought what out of the equation, then you just don't sift through the log.

An option to adjust the log would be nice, but a simple option to display or hide the point counter would suffice for me.

Without restricting access to the log it's quite possible that "play without VP tracker" could mean:

1) You Play without VP tracker while your opponent uses a browser extension VP tracker

2) You play without a VP tracker but end up waiting while your opponent scours the log manually to determine the score at key moments of the game

santamonica811

Without restricting access to the log it's quite possible that "play without VP tracker" could mean:

1) You Play without VP tracker while your opponent uses a browser extension VP tracker

2) You play without a VP tracker but end up waiting while your opponent scours the log manually to determine the score at key moments of the game

In real life, I had never played with a VP counter.  And I liked that, as this type of game rewarded a good memory.  But, now that I've played online, it seems unworkable, because this game moves so quickly and because turns end so quickly.

IRL, when I played with my friends, there would be an out-loud commentary for each turn end.  "OK, that's 3 points for playing the Bishop trashing X.  And I'm buying a Dutchy."  That gives the other player the chance to say to herself, "I need to add 6 points to his previous total."  If you do it well, then you can keep track of your score and your opponent's.

If we do not play with the VP counter, then I'd have to not only consult the log at the end of each of your turns, I'd have to stop playing as I do this.  For an easy turn, that would take 5 seconds.  For long engines, it might take 30-60 seconds to go through each line of your turn, to ensure that I do not miss a purchase, or a Landmark move that affected points, etc etc.  Can you imagine playing a friendly game where the other player is doing his best to go quickly, but there is a one-minute wait for the last 15 of his turns (plus, of course, the time for him to actual play his own card!!!)?  That would be very frustrating for most of us, I expect--I might grit my teeth and finish out that game, but I'd never agree to play a second game with that player.

And how would players possibly do this with no VP counter AND no visible log?  I guess if all players had audio chat, then it would be like a real-life game.  But absent that . . .

Martin plays Piano

Hi guys,

hiding the VP counter is possible.
Please go to "edit table" / "advanced options" / checkmark "show VP counter"

This doesn't impact the log display, but the pointer display is turned off.

Mick

It should not be an 'advanced option'. It should be off by default.

Donald X.

Quote from: Mick on 10 February 2017, 01:52:48 PM
It should not be an 'advanced option'. It should be off by default.
I am okay with it defaulting to whatever most players prefer.

I agree with others that it's not meaningful (and will slow down the game) to be able to turn it off without simultaneously limiting the log to the last couple turns (as isotropic did).

Mick

I'd be perfectly happy liming the log to everything between now and your previous action.

Really need a proper journey token though.

Sharajat

There's a couple of times it would be nice not to have it.  Even though scores are usually public information, almost no one will do the legwork needed to know what Vineyards/Gardens are at.  Fedorum is a tad easier (check silver pile, count trashed/ones you own), and Silk Road is almost automatic.  This means you can definitely disguise where you're at using them.

The always on VP counter is adding interesting tension though.  I think I prefer it.  It adds a real "race" feeling whereas without it you sometimes just shrug and go "oh, guess I won"

TheDetour

I thought I read on board game geek that Donald X said specifically that keeping score was against the rules (because the rules don't explicitly allow it, it isn't allowed) so I was surprised there was a scoreboard in this client.

I am all for getting rid of the scoreboard, but I can't say it ruins the experience having it.

SkyHard

Quote from: TheDetour on 17 March 2017, 05:53:30 AM
keeping score was against the rules (because the rules don't explicitly allow it, it isn't allowed)

You only mean automatically, right? If I keep score by remembering everything (which I can't, but some people probably can) it cannot be forbidden, can it?