is it possible to turn off point counter?

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

This is a reason why some people would prefer the option to still have a VP counter. It's not a reason to make VPon the only option available. No VP counter should be an option.

And that should be the default option, because that's the way the game designer designed the game and Shuffleit doesn't have the authority to just go rewriting Dominion. Yes, sometimes there are situations that come up in online games that aren't accounted for by the board game rules, where Shuffleit has to do something graceful, but this one is explicitly spelled out in the rulebook what should happen. The fact that they're even offering a VPon option is questionable enough, but probably fine.

LastFootnote

Quote from: SkyHard on 17 March 2017, 09:54:57 AM
Quote from: TheDetour on 17 March 2017, 05:53:30 AM
keeping score was against the rules (because the rules don't explicitly allow it, it isn't allowed)

You only mean automatically, right? If I keep score by remembering everything (which I can't, but some people probably can) it cannot be forbidden, can it?
Correct. You're not allowed to write down notes about game state during the game, but you are (obviously) allowed to use your memory to keep track of things.

TheDetour

Yes.  Memory is part of the game.

Tabulating score and note-keeping is not according to DXV.

Donald X.

keeping score was against the rules (because the rules don't explicitly allow it, it isn't allowed)

You only mean automatically, right? If I keep score by remembering everything (which I can't, but some people probably can) it cannot be forbidden, can it?
You are in fact allowed to remember things.

Donald X.

Quote from: AdamH on 17 March 2017, 04:27:24 PM
This is a reason why some people would prefer the option to still have a VP counter. It's not a reason to make VPon the only option available. No VP counter should be an option.

And that should be the default option, because that's the way the game designer designed the game and Shuffleit doesn't have the authority to just go rewriting Dominion. Yes, sometimes there are situations that come up in online games that aren't accounted for by the board game rules, where Shuffleit has to do something graceful, but this one is explicitly spelled out in the rulebook what should happen. The fact that they're even offering a VPon option is questionable enough, but probably fine.
It isn't that I thought "this will be great, I'll have you remember stuff." It fell out of the other parts, the fact that your score was on cards in your face-down deck.

So, that's how the game works, and the reason why it works that way mostly isn't relevant to anything, you actually don't get to keep score (unless playing a variant you and your friends agree on) and so much for that... but if people prefer the online version to have a VP counter then I don't mind, it's not ruining it for me. I prefer no VP counter personally but then I also prefer 3-player games.

For sure it should also be possible to not have a VP counter, which obv. means also limiting the log like isotropic did. And for sure this is minor next to e.g. having a real AI.

SkyHard

Quote from: Donald X. on 20 March 2017, 04:58:41 AM

You are in fact allowed to remember things.
Thank you! :-)

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Donald X. on 20 March 2017, 05:04:15 AMAnd for sure this is minor next to e.g. having a real AI.

Dominion: Skynet confirmed.