Why is Ghost Ship, um, disappearing? [plus Embargo]

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

I see today the announcement that GS and Embargo are being cast aside (other than when one specifically hand-picks them, that is).  Out of curiosity; why was that done?  Negative feedback from us players?  Too many bugs?  Some other reason???

Neither card is/was particularly interesting, so no big deal.  But I'm always interested in why later changes are (or are not) implemented.

Ingix

Donald X., the game's desgigner, already made second Editions of the base game and Intrigue, casting aside some cards to make room for (hopefully) better and more interesting ones. Those are already a few years old, and if you started playing Dominion after that, you may never know what Spy, Feast, Great Hall and Saboteur do.

The same is happening with Seaside, it's getting a second Edition (the printed cards have apparently reached North America last week), and online it's being done with a 3 day preview, the second day of which will happen in about 1.5h, from the time of writing.

Since printing logisitics imply a card count of a multiple of 100, new cards always means old cards have to go, in this case the first to to be confirmed where Embargo and Ghost Ship, more will follow today and tomorrow.

That Dominion Online follows suit in parallel is just the "old" tradition of following previews, but until now that only involved completely new expansions, so cards never "left" befroe.

Gherald

jeebus

Why not add an option "I'm okay with playing with deprecated cards"? If both/all players choose it, the old cards are available in full random.

Gherald

Frankly nobody needs Pearl Diver, Navigator, Pirate Ship, or even Explorer. Plenty of better cards out there with 2E and other expansions. But Ambassador is a Dominion classic for 2P games.

jeebus

Quote from: Gherald on 19 May 2022, 12:36:11 PM
Frankly nobody needs Pearl Diver, Navigator, Pirate Ship, or even Explorer. Plenty of better cards out there with 2E and other expansions. But Ambassador is a Dominion classic for 2P games.

I'll also miss Ghost Ship, Sea Hag and Explorer.

But in any case, my idea clearly only works with all-or-nothing; we can't let players pick cards. It's not like the game has been bad because all those Seaside cards were available, so I'm fine having them all be there for the opportunity to get Ambassador or Ghost Ship every now and then.

Gherald

Quote from: jeebus on 19 May 2022, 02:08:41 PM
my idea clearly only works with all-or-nothing
I've no idea why you think that's the case, much less "clearly" so.

jeebus

Quote from: Gherald on 19 May 2022, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: jeebus on 19 May 2022, 02:08:41 PM
my idea clearly only works with all-or-nothing
I've no idea why you think that's the case, much less "clearly" so.

Players can ban exactly 5 cards. Beyond that, there is no functionality to let players freely include or exclude individual cards from sets. I see no reason why that would be allowed for deprecated cards when it's not allowed for any other cards.

Gherald

Any deprecated/legacy cards would be opt-in. That's the reason.

jeebus

You still get a number of cards (currently 8, probably 16 soon, 28 if they had all been implemented, and probably more in the future) that you can pick and choose from. Whether the default is that they are included or excluded makes no difference for that.