Preplay is amazing & makes the game really fast, but needs reaction confirmation

Previous topic - Next topic

HonkeyFresh

I made a thread on FDS http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21265.msg892327#msg892327

QuoteIf you don't already know (and are wondering how some people play so quickly as your turn ends). you can now set up preplay in your settings.  It allows you to pick the order of cards that you will need to play (though it will break the chain to confirm discards/trashes/exiles etc)

The only real problem comes in when you have a preplay set, and then they play a card that requires a reaction (pick a card for contraband, don't reveal 1 from your hand for archer, pick a card for warchest etc) and if you have a preplay card already picked it will reveal that instead.  It leads to a lot of undos, and then people griping >:( (like I had a duchess set to play and then the guy revealed war chest but it instead blocked them from gaining a duchess on their war chest, like i'd ban duchess when there are 4-5 cost cards on the board  :P then they get mad when i ban upgrade (the fairly obvious ban since it was t5) since that was the card they had already picked as soon as duchess was banned.  I told him if he really cared i'd pick a diff card and he still rage quit.  :o

A simple confirmation a la the discard/trash/exile function would eliminate this.  8)

all in all preplay is awesome though, just needs a lil tweak.

HonkeyFresh

Here is a game where this messed up and even banned a card that Warchest not only would never want, but can't even gain as BV costs 6.  Later in this same game I was sure he was playing a  Bishop and so i preset the curse for trashing thinking that even if he doesnt trash i can just play my actins as the preplay wont preplay a coin or curse on its own if not in the buy phase.  .... and then War chest banned curse  ;D

At a BARE minimum it should only ban gainable cards like between 2 and 5 b/c unless an EXTREME EXTREME edge case no one is EVER going to warchest gain a curse. I guess in Tower or a 3-pile situation but in those edge cases not using preplay would be the better option.