sudgy's suggestions thread

Previous topic - Next topic

sudgy

I just played several games against the bots.  It's pretty good!  While there's nothing major I would suggest, I have a bunch of minor nitpicks that aren't the most important, but could make this great implementation even better.  I might think of more the more games I play, but here's the first few I've got:

1. I can't find a way to look at the card on the bottom of a split pile.  If there is a way, could it maybe be more clear?
2. I don't know how to find the current status of the journey token.  If there is a way, could it maybe be more clear?
3. With the autoplaying, Borrow is really counterintuitive.  You don't usually have to play your treasures when buying cards, but with Borrow you do have to.  I kept having to undo because I wasn't playing my treasures before buying Borrow.
4. It's a bit confusing not having all of the autoplaying functionality of the buy phase when buying from the Black Market.  Could the autoplaying and such be added to playing treasures with it as well?  (Maybe Storyteller too, but I haven't played it yet)
5. I know I might be in the minority, but I actually like small non-intrusive sounds.  I know this wouldn't be the most important thing ever, but I think optional sounds might be nice.
6. Potions, when in the game, move the other treasures down.  I almost misclicked and bought a Potion instead of a Gold several times.
7. The game ends a bit too fast sometimes.  When the game ends on the bot's turn, you don't even see his turn and sometimes when it ends on your turn it seems kind of sudden.  Could it maybe fully display a turn before ending the game?
8. Golem still asks you to order the cards to play when you don't need to order them.
9. When selecting which cards to keep for Annex, if you have a really big discard pile it can get really hard to see which cards are which (think Scheme on the old version).
10. When selecting a card for discarding or trashing, I think selecting an already selected card should undo selecting that card.  It's kind of annoying sometimes having to undo when clicking on the card is easier.
11. Moneylender makes you click on a copper to trash.  I think it would be easier to just make a button that says "trash" in addition to the "don't trash" button.

Wow.  That's a lot already.  Like I said, though, these are all minor nitpicks.  Keep up the good work!

sudgy

Alright, after the reply to my other thread, another suggestion: A bit more intuitive way to pay off debt after buying debt cards.

werothegreat

I'd just like to add my agreement to all these points.  The engine of the implementation seems solid, I haven't found any bugs at all in terms of actual gameplay or card interactions.  What needs to happen now is bringing the UI up to par.

sudgy

Here's a couple I've got from playing with my dad:

1. It's not obvious at all when you have to discard or topdeck cards on your opponent's turn due to an attack.  There were several times when we were both waiting around because one of us had to deal with an attack.
2. I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but buys/gain are hard to see and you don't notice them without looking at the log.  I had to describe what I did often.

LibraryAdventurer

I'll add mine here since I just got beat by sudgy and I don't feel like starting my own thread:

- The Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods effects need to be more noticable by the one being attacked.
- the reveal area (like for Envoy) is extremely small and easy to miss. Sudgy said it looked fine to him so maybe it's only on my browser: using Chrome with Windows 10 on a laptop.

sudgy

Also, at least with Courtier, the log doesn't say what choice they made.  There is no way to figure out what they chose.

LaLight

Quote from: LibraryAdventurer on 12 December 2016, 06:08:02 AM
I'll add mine here since I just got beat by sudgy and I don't feel like starting my own thread:

- The Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods effects need to be more noticable by the one being attacked.
- the reveal area (like for Envoy) is extremely small and easy to miss. Sudgy said it looked fine to him so maybe it's only on my browser: using Chrome with Windows 10 on a laptop.

Reveal area issue: what resolution are you using?

LibraryAdventurer

Quote from: LaLight on 12 December 2016, 11:12:36 AM
Quote from: LibraryAdventurer on 12 December 2016, 06:08:02 AM

Reveal area issue: what resolution are you using?
My windows settings says the resolution is  1366 x 768

sudgy

Another one: You can't see the Native Village mat contents other than when you play it.  Sometimes I want to see it to figure out if I want to play Native Village or not.

And, I'm not certain about this one, but it seemed like that even with the "don't wait for animations", I couldn't play actions as fast as I wanted.  I'm not certain though because that was right at the end of a game.

werothegreat

Quote from: sudgy on 13 December 2016, 05:33:14 AM
Another one: You can't see the Native Village mat contents other than when you play it.  Sometimes I want to see it to figure out if I want to play Native Village or not.

Same deal with Miser, but I'm sure that'll be fixed once there's a visual for the Tavern mat.

LibraryAdventurer

Quote from: werothegreat on 13 December 2016, 06:07:22 AM
Quote from: sudgy on 13 December 2016, 05:33:14 AM

Same deal with Miser, but I'm sure that'll be fixed once there's a visual for the Tavern mat.

Dominion has quite a lot of stuff that needs to be shown to the players. Seems like it'll be hard to figure out a good interface for everything, especially one that people who can't read small text can still play easily.
...just thinkin' ShIT (or MF for that matter) has (/had) their work cut out for them. (I have to wonder if they would've chosen a different name if they foresaw what the company nickname would be...)