Exchanging travellers (can't exchange more than one per turn)

Previous topic - Next topic

LibraryAdventurer

When I play one traveller in a turn, I click 'exchange' and it exchanges to the next in its line. But when I played more than one traveller on a turn, I clicked 'exchange' on each one, then execute, and it didn't exchange any.

EDIT: When I've played more than one and click execute without clicking exchange, it exchanges them. It's doing it backwards.

werothegreat

I think what's going on is with one, you click exchange to exchange it.  But with more than one, it's a toggle set to exchange by default, and so it says "exchange".  Clicking exchange toggles it to "keep".  Not very intuitive.

Philip

Quote from: werothegreat on 12 December 2016, 06:08:50 AM
I think what's going on is with one, you click exchange to exchange it.  But with more than one, it's a toggle set to exchange by default, and so it says "exchange".  Clicking exchange toggles it to "keep".  Not very intuitive.

Yeah, it was the other way around but people complained that it did the opposite of what they expected, so I changed it. I'm afraid that about half the people expect it one way, and another half the other.

What I'm considering for multiple items is to make a label above the button describing the current state (e.g. "Exchange" or "Keep"), with the button itself just saying "Toggle".

markus

Maybe "exchange all" and "exchange none" would also be good options.

allanfieldhouse

Quote from: markus on 12 December 2016, 05:19:38 PM
Maybe "exchange all" and "exchange none" would also be good options.
Definitely. It's pretty common to get half-way through a game and want to leave all your travellers where they are. And at the beginning of the game, you usually just want to exchange everything.

Polk5440

Quote from: Philip on 12 December 2016, 04:58:10 PM

Yeah, it was the other way around but people complained that it did the opposite of what they expected, so I changed it. I'm afraid that about half the people expect it one way, and another half the other.

I am one of the main complainers from the "other way". And frankly, I would fight hard to prevent a reversion back to the old method. The "other way" was confusing because the default actions that would be taken when you hit "execute" were not clear and the pictures also didn't describe what was going on accurately in certain cases (e.g. Alchemist), either.

Now, at least, the cleanup screen has improved to only somewhat confusing. When you hit execute, the actions taken match the words that are on the screen (rather than their opposite) and the behavior of toggle buttons are consistent across the entire implementation (e.g. in the personal preferences menu).

I do still think that toggle buttons that hold a state should look and feel different from buttons that execute immediately in order to reduce confusion (different text color, button shape/size, etc.).

Until reading this thread, I have not fully appreciated the difference in clean up when there is one card to make a decision about versus multiple. When you have one card the button is a button that takes the immediate action displayed and shows you both choices available. Very clear. Now we move to 2 or more cards. The buttons are now toggles with delayed execution and one of the two options is hidden (made default). Not clear.

-----------------

But the main UI issue, I think, cannot be solved by switching toggle labels one way or the other and is something I have had trouble articulating generally: The client is very unclear about what happens when you DON'T press a button or what to do when the action you want to take is not clearly displayed on the interface.

This leads to exactly the phenomenon you see here: people "expect" different things; the client does not clearly convey what is happening or what will happen; thus people are left confused no matter what "default" you pick. The UI just simply has to be more direct.

I will also note that this is an additional confusion to people who are new to the game and don't even know what the hidden (i.e. default) option is without reading the text of the card at every stage of the decision process.

werothegreat

Quote from: Polk5440 on 12 December 2016, 06:45:10 PM
The "other way" was confusing because the default actions that would be taken when you hit "execute" were not clear and the pictures also didn't describe what was going on accurately in certain cases (e.g. Alchemist), either.

Re: Alchemist: I have no idea what the arrows to the side of the Alchemists in the top-deck interface are supposed to represent.

markus

If you topdeck more cards with Scheme the order matters.

LibraryAdventurer

Quote from: Philip on 12 December 2016, 04:58:10 PM

What I'm considering for multiple items is to make a label above the button describing the current state (e.g. "Exchange" or "Keep"), with the button itself just saying "Toggle".
That would be a good solution to make it clear.

werothegreat

I think the best would be radio buttons/checkboxes.  Either "exchange" or "keep" is checked.

ravi

totally agree with wero's suggestion here. have both buttons 'Exchange' and 'Keep' and when you click one it becomes highlighted. This would be way clearer.

Philip

I like the radio button idea and think we'll go for that.

yed

Quote from: Philip on 13 December 2016, 11:38:36 AM
I like the radio button idea and think we'll go for that.
Make sure labels for radio are also clickable. It is more comfortable to click on label, than on small dot.

Polk5440

Quote from: werothegreat on 13 December 2016, 02:26:59 AM
I think the best would be radio buttons/checkboxes.  Either "exchange" or "keep" is checked.

Quote from: yed on 13 December 2016, 12:33:14 PM
Make sure labels for radio are also clickable. It is more comfortable to click on label, than on small dot.

+1 to both of these.