Face up cards in opponents' hands

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

When my opponent draws a card from Journeyman and I know what it is, now it shows me the card face up instead of just the back of the card. I haven't tested this with all reveal cards but I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen with Crossroads.

If this is going to be an option at all, I feel pretty strongly that it shouldn't be the default option. It's a similar argument for point counter but I'd say the default for that should be off as well.

If you're going to make this a feature, though, it needs to be perfect and completely consistent. Right now, face-up cards cover face-down cards so it's hard to tell how many cards are in hand, and then there is no way for the opponent to easily see which cards are revealed to their opponent so that those are played first -- this would matter for Envoy especially.

LibraryAdventurer

I completely agree with the above. When I have occationally seen face-up cards in my opponents' hand, I just assumed it was a bug (which I then forgot to report). I can see the reasoning for it, but it really shouldn't be on by default (if at all).

EDIT: I think the point counter should be off by default as well.

Grima

Even when face-up cards make sense (like after a Masquerade), each card should become face-down as soon as a similar card is played. That is, I may "know" the opponent has a Village, but if he/she plays a Village, I don't know if it was the one I knew about or a different one, so the Village I know should be hidden.

Ingix

It seems like the implementation has at least 2 problems:

1) It is a client-side effect, that means if you (have to) reload the information is gone and all cards are shown with the normal cardback again.

2) Even looking only at the effects that reveal cards, for some it is implemented, for others not and even others have only some cards revealed (e.g. after playing Hunting Party your opponent is shown the card you finally put into your hand from your deck, but not all the others that you revealed).

Moat:          not shown
Bureaucrat:    not shown
Shanty Town:   not shown
Wishing Well:      shown
Courtier:      not shown
Patrol:            shown
Ambassador:    not shown
Cutpurse:      not shown
Explorer:      Province not/Gold+Silver yes
Apothecary:        shown
Scrying Pool:      shown
Watchtower:    not shown
Counting House:not shown
Mint:          not shown
Menagerie:     not shown
Farming Village:   shown
Tournament:    not shown (other Province)
Young Witch:   not shown
Hunting Party: only new card is shown
Crossroads:    not shown
Poor House:    not shown
Vagrant:           shown (tested with Hovel)
Sage:              shown
Ironmonger:    not shown (when keeping/drawing victory cards)
Mystic:            shown
Pillage:       not shown
Advisor:           shown
Journeyman:        shown
Magpie:            shown
City Quarter:  not shown
Royal Blacksm.:not shown
Encampment:    not shown
Patrician:     not shown
Setttlers:     not shown
Bustling Vill.:not shown
Chariot Race:      shown
Gladiator:     not shown
Legionary:     not shown
Grand Castle:  not shown
Envoy:             shown

Stef

yes this is a bug, although it looks like a feature.

The behaviour now is - if the client knows which card it is at the moment it's moving into your hand, it will display the card. If the cards gets revealed while already sitting in your hand the client doesn't understand this. You can check this information isn't provided by the gameserver at a later stage by reloading/undoing - at that point the client will "forget" all revealed cards.

It will be implemented differently once I get to redoing drawing hands, but I don't consider it high priority. It would be nice if the client showed those cards for a little while, for some nice definition of "little while".

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Stef on 07 November 2017, 09:34:59 AM
yes this is a bug, although it looks like a feature.

The behaviour now is - if the client knows which card it is at the moment it's moving into your hand, it will display the card. If the cards gets revealed while already sitting in your hand the client doesn't understand this. You can check this information isn't provided by the gameserver at a later stage by reloading/undoing - at that point the client will "forget" all revealed cards.

It will be implemented differently once I get to redoing drawing hands, but I don't consider it high priority. It would be nice if the client showed those cards for a little while, for some nice definition of "little while".

My two cents is that this feature should be abandoned. If I really want to track what might be in an opponent's hand, I can look at the log.