Player left game

Previous topic - Next topic

macpuddock

Started a 2 player game and after the first turn my opponent left, saying he was just there to see what it looked like.  Game was still running with only me at the table, so I resigned as I didn't see any other option.  Scoreboard at the end showed simply 3 pts each and me resigning, nothing about the other player ditching.  Is that how it's supposed to work?

Stef

Quote from: macpuddock on 01 January 2017, 12:09:04 AM
Started a 2 player game and after the first turn my opponent left, saying he was just there to see what it looked like.  Game was still running with only me at the table, so I resigned as I didn't see any other option.  Scoreboard at the end showed simply 3 pts each and me resigning, nothing about the other player ditching.  Is that how it's supposed to work?

Yes, it is. Sorry but it's impossible for the system to know if your opponent left on purpose or by accident.
If it's by accident, he gets some time to reconnect.

You could have waited 5 minutes and then you would have gotten the option to resign your opponent.

TwoWhiteBears

Quote from: Stef on 01 January 2017, 12:12:52 AM

Yes, it is. Sorry but it's impossible for the system to know if your opponent left on purpose or by accident.

You could have waited 5 minutes and then you would have gotten the option to resign your opponent.
Yo dude

It's 2017

We shouldn't have to wait 5 minutes for someone to reconnect

Battlenet didn't even give that much time for Starcraft in the 90s

Can you please join us in the future? Make it one minute.

freact

Oh no! For some reason I really thought this was going to be improved with the new client. Five minutes is simply far too long.

ackmondual

Quote from: TwoWhiteBears on 01 January 2017, 05:08:08 AM

Yo dude

It's 2017

These appear to be different things... disconnect is when your internet connection gets a "hiccup".

Quitting is when a player deliberately chooses "Quit" from the menu screen.

For the former, if it doesn't reconnect you automatically, then 5 minutes seems to be the right amount of time to have to reload the app and click through a bunch of options.

TwoWhiteBears

Quote from: ackmondual on 01 January 2017, 07:23:18 AM
Quote from: TwoWhiteBears on 01 January 2017, 05:08:08 AM

Yo dude

It's 2017

These appear to be different things... disconnect is when your internet connection gets a "hiccup".

Quitting is when a player deliberately chooses "Quit" from the menu screen.

For the former, if it doesn't reconnect you automatically, then 5 minutes seems to be the right amount of time to have to reload the app and click through a bunch of options.
I totally disagree. If your Internet cuts out, sucks for you, but don't make your opponent suffer for it. Bust your ass to get back into the room. It definitely should not take five minutes. That is absurd. I can probably restart my computer and get back into a room in under a minute.

I realize not everyone has the luxury of a reliable computer...but those people probably shouldn't play the game. Sorry. There is no fuckin way I'm waiting five minutes for someone to return.

It's just poor game design to favor the player who doesn't have his shit together. Harsh, but true.

Stef

I like 5 minutes as a timeout, but in the not-too-distant-future you'll be able to specify the timeout on your own games. And then people who think you set it too short can simply not join your game.

Emeric

Quote from: Stef on 01 January 2017, 12:21:16 PM
I like 5 minutes as a timeout, but in the not-too-distant-future you'll be able to specify the timeout on your own games. And then people who think you set it too short can simply not join your game.
Good Option !

markus

I think the standard value should be less than 5 minutes as you only get the option to resign the other player and are free to wait.
But more importantly it shouldn't be possible to repeatedly make use of the full 5 minutes after playing each card.

TwoWhiteBears

Quote from: Stef on 01 January 2017, 12:21:16 PM
Do you actually play online games? Who wants to wait five minutes for the guy who abruptly leaves?

Do you not realize how often other people punish players because they're losing or butthurt about something else? There have been many times where I'm about to win and the other person just quits. What happens if I am on my last turn, but the player leaves before I (for example) play a militia necessary to win? I now have to wait five minutes because you want to be nice to people who have bad connections?

If it takes someone five minutes to fix their issue, they shouldn't be playing a low resource online game.

TwoWhiteBears

Quote from: markus on 01 January 2017, 12:45:44 PM
it shouldn't be possible to repeatedly make use of the full 5 minutes after playing each card.
This was a big problem for me in the last client.

I wish an overall game timer (think chess) would be added. I can keep my turns under a collective ten minutes. Can the other person? If not, do I really want to play with him?

(No.)

jdcw

Love the idea of it being configurable - that way I can set mine at 5 and weed out people who are not understanding that some internet systems are just not as reliable as others.  My internet crashes typically once a day and it takes almost 5 min. to reboot - nice to know I will be able to reconnect if I am fast.  Unfortuantely we cannot all have great internet connections - I'll be glad to wait the 5 minutes for others who have similar problems.