A few questions/observations...

Previous topic - Next topic

knadles

I'm old enough to remember a time (and I realize this is the point where the developers stop reading my post, if in fact any of them started) when you didn't release a product until it was ready to go. We've somehow moved into this half-assed beta world, in which you throw some half-cooked spaghetti at the wall, get people to eat it, and then make the sauce.

I'm fine with beta stuff. I've been a beta tester and provided what I believe was helpful feedback because the developers used my suggestions. But in those cases, I signed on to be a beta tester and I knew what I was getting into.

In this case, I did not. I purchased an app and some expansions and they *stopped working completely* two days ago. Now from one point of view, it could be considered magnanimous for the developers to "grant me access" to a game that another developer got paid for. But as a consumer I've been forced to make a switch I didn't want or request. You didn't make a better mousetrap, you (and Rio Grande) stole the mousetrap I had been using and want me to dance for a new one. And be happy about it.

On the other hand, I'm also young and practical enough to know that digital stuff isn't forever. I'll forgo my extended rant about the idea of paying for a toaster only to have the manufacturer "revoke my license" to use it six months later. Believe me, I can go on and on about that one, but that's the world we've made and now we have to live in it.

I will, however, make a deal with the developers: build a quality app I can pay for. Once. Make the expansions cost a few bucks and charge me for the ones I purchase. Once each. Include an AI that makes the app playable offline. I'll pay your one-time fees--no complaints, I'll play with your toy, and I'll leave you alone unless I decide to purchase further expansions or find any significant bugs I believe you should know about, at which point I'll submit a report so you can improve your app, make it more desirable to future purchasers, and cement your reputation as an active and responsive developer.

Regarding the subscription model, save it for those folks who who wish to compete against other humans. Personally, I find online play to be tiresome, especially when another player decides to walk his dog mid-turn. But operating and maintaining the online servers is a legitimate expense and should be paid for accordingly.

This is what I would prefer. I suspect such a model would go a long way to soothing the complaints of others as well. I can play Catan on the bus. I can play Carcasonne on the bus. I can't play Dominion on the bus, but I would be willing to pay for that privilege.

Also, seriously, the UI ain't great. To respond to the other poster...yes, UI can be a matter of taste, but there are also general UX principles that are best not ignored. I believe "The Design of Everyday Things," by Don Norman, should be required reading for developers. Remember: the gas pedal goes on the right and the brake pedal goes on the left. Switch them at your (and everyone else's) peril.

Pete

ToasterTwo

yes, this is a bad, incomplete implementation. 

I would beta test for the developers but this is to frustrating to even try.

I have all the expansions and have played a long time.  I will miss being able to play dominion online.

I will check back in a few months to see if things are better.  Til then -

Bye

E.Honda

Quote from: knadles on 02 January 2017, 05:42:31 PM
Regarding the subscription model, save it for those folks who who wish to compete against other humans. Personally, I find online play to be tiresome, especially when another player decides to walk his dog mid-turn. But operating and maintaining the online servers is a legitimate expense and should be paid for accordingly.

There will be a standalone offline version you can purchase with a one time payment i believe.

LasseBJ

Quote from: knadles on 01 January 2017, 02:38:57 AM
1) I see the word "subscription" being bandied about. I have a subscription for my purchases through 2017? Does that mean at the end of the year I will be required to start paying a monthly fee? Because if it does, I can guarantee you I'll be done playing electronic Dominion on Dec. 31, 2017. Guarantee.

This Post needs a BIG Thumps Up or LIKE Button, i bet the majority of people visiting your site was comming here to post this one comment.
myself included.