Opponent leaving Table leaves you hanging....

Previous topic - Next topic

hap2130

This happened.

The opponent, in the middle of the game, left the table.

The game didn't end. I was stuck until I resigned.

Usually (on other servers) resigning a game lowers your rating.
It's not right that my rating is lowered if someone leaves the table... when they left, it should have either let me out, or given the opponent the ding.

Watno

After 5 minutes, you'll be able to force your opponent to resign. This time might be configurable in the future.

CatherineC

What is the purpose of waiting 5 minutes and then forcing someone else to resign?  I just waited through this 5 minutes because some doofus left a table - I'm sure because he realized he was losing -- and it's completely annoying.

yed

It is a time for him to restart computer or ADSL modem in case either of those crashed.

If you don't care about ranking (in the future), you can resign instead of him.

gkrieg

Quote from: CatherineC on 04 January 2017, 10:42:37 PM
What is the purpose of waiting 5 minutes and then forcing someone else to resign?  I just waited through this 5 minutes because some doofus left a table - I'm sure because he realized he was losing -- and it's completely annoying.

I know this is fairly high on their priority list.  They want to make the timeout feature smarter so that people aren't punished for taking too long thinking when they are actually there, but so that slowplaying is impossible.

CatherineC

I'm currently waiting out another player who "left the table", coincidentally while losing.

I'm still not seeing the logic here.  I'm playing against someone, their computer crashes, I have to wait 5 while they reboot, grab a coffee, visit the restroom, and come back to finish the game?  If their computer crashes, that's their problem. 

And that's the best case scenario, 9 times out of 10 this is because someone was losing and doesn't want to take the quit on their record.

gkrieg

Quote from: CatherineC on 05 January 2017, 03:22:38 AM
I'm currently waiting out another player who "left the table", coincidentally while losing.

I'm still not seeing the logic here.  I'm playing against someone, their computer crashes, I have to wait 5 while they reboot, grab a coffee, visit the restroom, and come back to finish the game?  If their computer crashes, that's their problem. 

And that's the best case scenario, 9 times out of 10 this is because someone was losing and doesn't want to take the quit on their record.

I believe the ratings are currently frozen, so if you think they left just because they were losing, you could resign yourself, and it won't affect your ranking anyway.

Mike Thicke

Is there really no way to distinguish between a disconnect and closing the browser window?

mark1878

Quote from: Mike Thicke on 10 January 2017, 02:05:01 PM
Is there really no way to distinguish between a disconnect and closing the browser window?

What happens if the opponent's broswer crashes? - it looks like a browser closing