Jester and Diplomat triggering reshuffles

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyphen-ated

In game #770922 on frankfurt I found a problem with Diplomat + Jester.

On turn 7, I played a jester, my opponent revealed a diplomat, and everything was fine.

On turn 9, I played a jester, my opponent revealed a diplomat, the diplomat's ability triggered a reshuffle, and the jester ability did not happen.

Watno

Are you sure Jester didn't hit a card that there was no copy of in the supply, a shelter, or a VP card?
Also, are you sure your opponent had no Lighthouse/Champion in play?

Hyphen-ated

I don't think any of the piles were empty, but the possibility does exist. (can't check anymore :() There was nothing in the log indicating what card the jester hit. So maybe the only problem here is that it's unclear what's happening when a jester hits a card that's had its pile emptied.

It was not a shelter game. Hitting a VP card would have given a curse, which didn't happen. There was no lighthouse, champion, moat, or other similar card in the kingdom.

JunkDealer

If the draw pile or target pile was empty then I would think this as a bug in the logs.  The idea behind the logs (in my opinion) is to provide a more detailed view of what happened.  If a card fails to trigger for whatever reason the logs should indicate it.  Otherwise the viewer of the logs sees it as a bug, not as a consequence of a pile being empty.

Although I now see this is in the list of known bugs.  Does that mean it has been confirmed that a reshuffle by the diplomat means the Jester doesn't trigger?

Watno

It's in the list of unconfirmed bugs, so if there is another report of it we know that this might have happened before.

Ingix

Because that old game still loads, finally this mystery can be solved 8). From the log (L was Hyphen-ated, I was his opponent)

L plays a Jester.
  I reacts with a Diplomat.
  I shuffles their deck.
  I draws a Silver and an Oasis.
  I discards a Province, 2 Oases and a Governor.
L plays 4 Coppers.

The reason for the apparent bug is as Watno suspected, the Governor pile was empty. With the log having the (at times not helpful) effect of coalescing several discards into one, it mixed the discard due to Diplomat with the discard due to Jester. And since there was no Governor in opponent's hand after drawing from Diplomat, the Governor must have been the Jester discard.