Card Borders - Change or Stay as is?

Previous topic - Next topic

JunkDealer

I've now played quite a number of games and I find the card borders for me are insufficient.  Rather than just post a "Please change this"  I thought I'd do a poll to see if it's just me.

I've given users 2 votes for this poll.  I'm not colorblind, but thought those who are can weigh in on the last item.

tufftaeh

Borders...? Oh, right, there are colored borders! I hadn't noticed because I have single trash/discard confirmation on, so I always have the chance to see a big cross before something bad happens...

JunkDealer

Quote from: tufftaeh on 07 January 2017, 08:45:43 PM
Borders...? Oh, right, there are colored borders! I hadn't noticed because I have single trash/discard confirmation on, so I always have the chance to see a big cross before something bad happens...

Personally I dislike the x for everything.  A big x for trashing I understand, but an x to choose a card from the discard pile to put in your hand or an x to choose a card to top deck feels just wrong.  X implies something bad  or destructive (at least culturally for me it does).  In cases where I'm doing something positive or constructive it would be more appropriate (in my culture at least) for it to be a check mark... but that's a different issue....

Anyhow the reason I like the borders is that sometimes I play a card and forget that I have to trash as part of resolving that card.  Seeing a red border reminds me that the card I click on will be trashed and not played.  I've misclicked and accidentally trashed far too many good cards when playing quickly.  The problem I have right now is the border is so thin It's not serving the purpose it's there for (at least for me).  This is why I made the poll to see if it's just me still misclicking or if other people are also missing that visual cue.

Polk5440

Quote from: JunkDealer on 09 January 2017, 07:26:08 AM
Personally I dislike the x for everything.  A big x for trashing I understand, but an x to choose a card from the discard pile to put in your hand or an x to choose a card to top deck feels just wrong.

Agreed.

Donald X.

Quote from: JunkDealer on 09 January 2017, 07:26:08 AMPersonally I dislike the x for everything.  A big x for trashing I understand, but an x to choose a card from the discard pile to put in your hand or an x to choose a card to top deck feels just wrong.  X implies something bad  or destructive (at least culturally for me it does).  In cases where I'm doing something positive or constructive it would be more appropriate (in my culture at least) for it to be a check mark... but that's a different issue....
I agree on this different issue though. I think a big symbol over the card is great. For trashing, X is fine. For discarding, a down arrow? For top-decking, an up arrow? A checkmark for miscellaneous.

Some games there are a mix of these effects, e.g. opponents are playing both Bishop and Militia. Having different symbols would be great.

Polk5440

JunkDealer

Quote from: Donald X. on 09 January 2017, 03:45:50 PM
I agree on this different issue though. I think a big symbol over the card is great. For trashing, X is fine. For discarding, a down arrow? For top-decking, an up arrow? A checkmark for miscellaneous.

Some games there are a mix of these effects, e.g. opponents are playing both Bishop and Militia. Having different symbols would be great.

I'd be concerned that for infrequent players the up arrow/down arrow could be just as confusing.  How about:
   Topdeck: an arching arrow pointing to the top of a draw pile
   Place Anywhere: an arrow pointing into a draw pile
   Discard: an arching arrow pointing to the top of a discard pile
   Trash:  Place a small version of the Trash card diagonally across the card

For the first three you may want to show both a draw pile (with the Dominion back) and a discard pile (perhaps a blank card) to make it clear which deck you are referring to.

This might be too busy if not done properly.  If I were any kind of graphic artist I'd take a stab at what these might look like myself, but alas my artistic skills are the equivalent of bad stick figures.

Okay well despite that I've gone ahead and done some quick cut/paste work and here's a really rough idea of what I'm suggesting....  This might end up being too busy though.  If the card itself gets grayed out at the same time it might work.

Donald X.

Quote from: JunkDealer on 09 January 2017, 05:49:32 PM
This might be too busy if not done properly.
I think they would be way too busy. I like the very simple basic X, and would keep other symbols in that vein.

I wouldn't have a "to anywhere in deck" symbol; a checkmark could cover all random stuff like that. The main important thing to distinguish is trash vs. discard.

JunkDealer

Quote from: Donald X. on 09 January 2017, 06:27:30 PM
Quote from: JunkDealer on 09 January 2017, 05:49:32 PM
This might be too busy if not done properly.
I think they would be way too busy. I like the very simple basic X, and would keep other symbols in that vein.

I wouldn't have a "to anywhere in deck" symbol; a checkmark could cover all random stuff like that. The main important thing to distinguish is trash vs. discard.

If the above can't be reworked to be less busy I'd personally just go for an X and Check format then with X being trashing and Check being selecting of any sort.  I know I'd have to think about what the Up and Down Arrows mean each time I hadn't played in a while (even though they might be self evident based on text provided).  I rarely read the text (unless I'm forced to) and rely on the icons/colors/sounds to make most decisions which brings me back to my initial post :P