City Quarter doesn't graphically reveal cards

Previous topic - Next topic

Cave-O-Sapien

Why don't cards revealed by City Quarter remain visible once they are returned to my opponent's hand?

LibraryAdventurer

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 13 January 2017, 07:53:39 AM
Why don't cards revealed by City Quarter remain visible once they are returned to my opponent's hand?
Because lot of people (including me) were getting confused why they were able to see cards in the opponent's hand. It really looks like a bug when you don't realize why it's happening, but it'd be fine if it was an option with default to off.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: LibraryAdventurer on 13 January 2017, 08:07:34 AM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 13 January 2017, 07:53:39 AM
Because lot of people (including me) were getting confused why they were able to see cards in the opponent's hand. It really looks like a bug when you don't realize why it's happening, but it'd be fine if it was an option with default to off.

I admit I thought it was a bug at first, too. Mostly because I've seen similar bugs in other card games.

But now that I know what's going on, it seems like it is inconsistently applied.

dscarpac

The biggest problem is that you don't actually do that in the physical implementation. What is in your hand is only public information at the time in which you revealed your hand (or a particular card, etc.). There are several cards that will move cards from your hand to another place (discard, somewhere in your deck) without revealing which cards were moved. If you suddenly noticed that the previously revealed card is no longer there, well, that's against the rules.

Ex. You play City Quarter, revealing 3 Markets, drawing 3 cards. I can still see the 3 Markets in your hand. You then play a Secret Passage and put one of the Markets on the bottom of your deck. Should I still see 3 Markets there, or only 2?

allanfieldhouse

Quote from: dscarpac on 15 January 2017, 03:16:46 AM
Ex. You play City Quarter, revealing 3 Markets, drawing 3 cards. I can still see the 3 Markets in your hand. You then play a Secret Passage and put one of the Markets on the bottom of your deck. Should I still see 3 Markets there, or only 2?

Another example, you reveal 1 Market and draw 1 card (which happens to be a Market, but I don't know that). Now you play a Market.

In this situation, how does it choose to show or not show the Market still in your hand? If it's literally just based on which of the 2 cards you clicked on, it seems like the person playing the hand needs to have some sort of indication of which cards have been revealed and which are still secret. It's not that important for Markets, but it can be really important for cards like Torturer. This opens up a whole can of worms...

I'm thinking that when you take any action that possibly could have moved a revealed card out of your hand, it needs to be un-revealed. So in my example, playing a Market would hide the revealed Market even if it wasn't literally the same card. In a situation like Secret Passage, you would have to un-reveal one instance of every single unique card that was revealed (because you have no way of knowing what was put back). So if you earlier revealed 2 Coppers, 3 Markets, and a Gold; playing a Secret Passage would un-reveal one copper, one Market, and one Gold.

Like I said...big can of worms.

markus

If it's well done, it conveys exactly the information that I would get from the log:
You reveal 2 Torturers and play one afterwards --> only one is visible
You discard 1 card secretly --> 1 copy of each revealed card (by name) is made invisible - or faded

dscarpac

Or -- just don't ever show 'revealed' cards after any action has been played following the 'reveal'. Problem solved.