Communication about releases & future plans

Previous topic - Next topic

werothegreat

Quote from: AdamH on 20 January 2017, 01:27:37 PM
What is my problem with the bolded part? Well it cheapens a real concern that your users have. There's no reason to do that.

A developer should always strive to be diplomatic, not snarky. :)  Be an Obama, not a Trump.

Martin plays Piano

Adam, the way you humiliate the developers also cheapens their work done so far - your barefaced assumption, that they are sitting around and playing WoW is for sure not acceptable. Are you really convinced to get your wishes realised with that style of communication ? I guess due to that rude attack the desired stash implementation will be skipped for a while ...

AdamH

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 20 January 2017, 03:34:41 PM
Adam, the way you humiliate the developers also cheapens their work done so far - your barefaced assumption, that they are sitting around and playing WoW is for sure not acceptable. Are you really convinced to get your wishes realised with that style of communication ? I guess due to that rude attack the desired stash implementation will be skipped for a while ...

Are you being serious right now? I actually can't tell, I'm pretty sure you're trolling me but this is just text so maybe you're being serious?

I'm not going to respond to this other than to just say that if you are serious, I think you should read my posts carefully before you say stuff like this. Actually read what I say and understand what the words mean before you go telling me what you think I'm saying and how bad it is.

Witherweaver

Quote from: AdamH on 19 January 2017, 01:21:35 PM
When are we going to have all of the cards implemented? This includes fixing all of the cards that require you to name a card since they're unplayable at this point, and we need a way to view the Journey Token at any time.

The software was released almost three weeks ago and at a bare minimum it should have been completely implemented by that point: this isn't even the top priority.

New releases are getting less frequent and this doesn't appear to be on anyone's radar. I kind of doubt this is ever going to be finished at this point.

To be fair, you criticize other's uses of unhelpful phrases while saying things like this.  It's a bit of an unfair jab.  (I'm assuming here that 'it' means the product itself, or at least full implementation of cards.)

I definitely get wanting time estimates, though.  And I also get not wanting to do them.  I have to provide development estimates in my job as well, and hate doing that (mostly because I feel I can't make them accurate).

Cave-O-Sapien

Would a public issue tracker help with the communication issues?

AdamH

I don't think it's unfair at all. No other online implementation of Dominion was really finished -- there were workarounds for many things but I have never at any point been able to play with all of the Dominion cards that exist on a computer. And nothing that Shuffleit has done leads me to believe that this will be any different.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm basing this off of what I've seen so far. The Making Fun release (not the Goko one) seemed to go smoother than this one and was a better product out of the gate. They were also more responsive to their customers, but even still that wasn't finished before their contract expired.

Even if it was unfair, though, I have to be professional at my job but not here. Expectations of the developers conveying their status are higher than expectations of me posting to tell them things. I don't work for them but I'm still doing them a service by telling them that they need to talk more to their customers.

Geronimoo

Witherweaver

Well, I disagree about the Making Fun release certainly.

And yeah, it will never be fully 'complete' as there will always be new features to implement, bug fixes, etc.  But in specific terms of getting Inheritance, Stash, naming cards functionality all working, it sounded like you were saying you don't think they're ever going to do that, and I don't see the basis for such a statement.

AdamH

There's no basis to say it will happen either -- Shuffleit said it would be done already and it isn't done, and we still haven't heard any indication that they're currently working on it. I'm speculating on what I think will happen and anyone else is welcome to do the same, there's nothing unfair about that.

Naturally, with no communication from the developers it's pretty easy to assume the worst. That's kind of the point of all of this.

Witherweaver

Well, sure, you're welcome to think that.  I just think you're off base.

AdamH

Quote from: Witherweaver on 20 January 2017, 05:48:24 PM

I hope you're right, I really do.

So this means what I said wasn't an unfair jab, it's just something you disagree with. Awesome.

Witherweaver

Quote from: AdamH on 20 January 2017, 05:52:11 PM
Quote from: Witherweaver on 20 January 2017, 05:48:24 PM

I hope you're right, I really do.

So this means what I said wasn't an unfair jab, it's just something you disagree with. Awesome.

I still think it's unfair, but that's where the disagreement lies. 

Martin plays Piano

Adam, let's conclude our little battle here – I played my reaction card and you did it as well  :D

Given the fact, that you are the native speaker, not me, it might be possible that I did some misinterpretations within all your text here – so by the way I firstly had to learn, what does "trolling" mean and what is a "jab".

Nevertheless the posts coming up since yesterday showed me that my reply wasn't totally wrong, perhaps a little bit too rashly – and I am with Witherweaver that the discussion with all its good suggestions and opinions could be more motivating by avoiding assumptions and demanding issues with less pressure.

So I am more in the "good guy" mode being optimistic (typical Cologne attitude), that many things will become better on this platform in the nearer future, so let's play and enjoy the features being done so far. If you don't mind I will put you on my buddy list to find you somewhere in the universe of tables for further exchange and for some matches – I think this will be much more joyful than fighting in the forums.

allanfieldhouse

I just want to echo the need for more communication than just the "missing features" thread. What Philip posted a couple of days ago is an excellent example of what people want to see. It shouldn't be hidden half-way down a random forum thread.

What I'd like to see is a thread with a basic "Hey, we just finished feature X, so now we're going to start working on Y. I'm thinking it'll take somewhere between 3-10 days to implement."

Communication like this would make a huge difference in many people's opinions. It's really not a huge timesink. Nobody will care if your estimate is wrong -- you just post again in 8 days and say "The previous estimate wasn't right. I'm thinking it'll take another week."

allanfieldhouse

Since my other thread got closed for duplicating this one, I guess I'll repost my Fake Shuffle iT update here.

Quote from: allanfieldhouse
Hey everybody, I just wanted to post a quick update.

We just finished/released the initial "visual trash" area. It shows the card images (stacked), so it's a lot easier to use the trash now. Unfortunately the display doesn't update if you already have the trash displaying -- we'll get that fixed soonish, but it's low priority.

The other big thing we've been working on is the "name a card" interface. It's been more tricky to implement than we were expecting because of how the concept of a "stack of cards" is coded behind-the-scenes. We're hoping to finish this up by the end of next week though.

We haven't started working on the Journey token or Inheritence/Stash yet, but those will be next up on our list. Sorry these aren't done yet.

As always, if any of these timelines change, we'll let you know in our dev update next week.