"It's your turn/move" sound notification

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

At least one or two people have mentioned this, but (as far as I can tell) always mixed into a post that covers other topics.

Some turns take a really long time.  Long engines, engines that requires the player to make decisions along the way (eg, with Hamlet, to discard one card? two cards? for action and/or buy).  So, I think A LOT of us multitask as this goes on.  We do work on another window.  We turn on the TV.  We open a good book.

Of course, this means that we don't immediately notice when it is our turn, which is rude to the other player.  A small chime would be great.  The same--or different--sound when it's Player One's turn but the other player(s) need to do something (discard down to 3 with Milita; select a card to pass for Masq., etc), for the same reason.

Should be really easy to implement, no?

Jacob Marley

I'd add that a visual queue would be nice, like turning the border of the text box in the middle of the screen red when I have to do something.  I don't play with sound on, and often miss that I need to do something.

JW

Both excellent suggestions. Having such features would be particularly useful in games that involve the "Pretend to Think" option (for Gladiator, for example).  On a related note, a toggle to turn off "Pretend to Think" would also be useful.

AdamH

Quote from: JW on 30 March 2017, 07:28:06 PM
On a related note, a toggle to turn off "Pretend to Think" would also be useful.

"Pretend to think" shouldn't be a thing. As it is right now, it's not consistently applied (opponent plays an attack, Moat is in the kingdom; there is no "pretend to think" if I don't have a Moat in hand) and stuff like this really needs to be consistent. But applying it consistently makes the game really unfun to play.

The fact that it's not done for every case where one needs to pretend to think means it should not be there at all. If there are clamors from the purists about it, then sure put it on the backlog, but I feel like the current interface for Gladiator should just be changed.

...and then of course, once they implement it, let's make the default setting to not draw out the game unnecessarily please?

JW

Yes, a toggle to turn on "pretend to think" with it off by default would be the most valuable.