Failed to reconnect to game after disconnecting

Previous topic - Next topic

dane

I've just had a game (5051932 against HK-ad3) during which my browser hung.  Having killed and restarted the browser I logged back in and found myself at the 'Matching' screen rather than back in the game that I had been playing.  My unfortunate opponent will have had to wait to force a resignation and will no doubt be under the false impression that I quit the game because I was losing.

I've had a browser hang in the past and have successfully reconnected to the game by killing the browser, restarting it and then logging in again, so I'm puzzled as to why it didn't work this time, though in his description of the latest release Stef referred to improvements when reconnecting.  Has one of those 'improvements' caused a problem?

By the way I'm dane-m when playing.

Stef

Quote from: dane on 10 July 2017, 07:42:32 PM
I've just had a game (5051932 against HK-ad3) during which my browser hung.  Having killed and restarted the browser I logged back in and found myself at the 'Matching' screen rather than back in the game that I had been playing.  My unfortunate opponent will have had to wait to force a resignation and will no doubt be under the false impression that I quit the game because I was losing.

I've had a browser hang in the past and have successfully reconnected to the game by killing the browser, restarting it and then logging in again, so I'm puzzled as to why it didn't work this time, though in his description of the latest release Stef referred to improvements when reconnecting.  Has one of those 'improvements' caused a problem?

By the way I'm dane-m when playing.

Judging by the time of your post, this was in the middle of a release.
Releasing 1.2.9 was a bit troublesome and took much longer then usual.

Behind the scenes, we have two separate environments on every machine we use:

metaserver-A, frankfurt-A, oregon-A, tokyo-A
metaserver-B, frankfurt-B, oregon-B, tokyo-B

We alternate using the A-environment and the B-environment. This allows us to do a new release without killing the current connections, and everyone still connected to the old environment can just play out their games. New connections are automatically forwarded to the new environment, and when your game is finished it asks you to reload to establish such a new connection.

Unfortunately this system doesn't deal at all with people accidentally losing their connection in the meanwhile. You can't reach the old environment anymore so loss of connection during a release means you just lost the game. Maybe one day I'll find a way to deal with that too, but so far it hasn't been worth the effort.

dane

dane

Only one snag...

Something very similar has just happened again (game 5067903 against minhkngu).

This time the initial problem was not that my browser hung but that suddenly in the middle of my turn the 'reconnecting' screen appeared.  It just sat there offering the 'kick and resign' option, so after a few seconds I closed the browser, reopened it and logged in again.  Once again I found myself at the 'Matching' screen rather than back in the game.

I looked at running games on 'Tables' and could see no table hosted by either myself or my opponent.

Next I logged out again and tried kicking before logging back in.  Once again I found myself at the 'Matching' screen.

Finally, in the hope of saving my opponent from further delay, I logged out and did a 'kick and resign'.

All the above was completed well before my time to act would have timed out.

It's possible that my opponent was also having connection problems: while he was taking his first turn, I twiced received messages saying that he had disconnected and then reconnected.

dane

Yesterday I had another instance during a game of having to restart my browser because it had hung.  This time, unlike the previous two occasions but like ealier occasions, I was successfully reconnected to my game.  I notice that Version 1.2.10 mentions fixing reconnecting from new browser/computer.  I'm going to guess that the fixed bug also affected anyone (e.g. me) who had their browser set up to accept only session cookies.  I'm also going to guess that the bug was introduced as part of the improvements to reconnect in Version 1.2.9.