Terms of Service

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

With the recent kerfuffle over the tournament and ToS violation, there is a certain statement in the ToS that has been scrutinized:

Quote2.A. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances: use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software with either the direct aim or incidental side-effect of gaining a competitive advantage

Perhaps an update to the wording is appropriate here? Currently the use of any broadcasting software is not allowed (which is probably not the best thing in combination with later tournament matches being "required" to be streamed). Perhaps a list of approved pieces of software could be added to the ToS, which would include common streaming software like OBS or XSplit. Maybe give the blessing here for other third-party apps like Sparklepig? I would like to continue streaming Dominion but not if there's any risk of getting my account banned.

It also may be a good idea to make it so you can use this stuff with the consent of all of your opponents. Many times I will play games where I'm tutoring someone sitting next to me -- my opponent is OK with this (it can often include some long delays in play so I usually arrange for a specific opponent who is willing to put up with this) and sometimes I'll use text editors or calculate odds or something to help explain things. Currently this is against the ToS.

I understand why the ToS is written the way it is, to give you the maximum flexibility over what you can act upon; but given recent events it might make people feel better if you have a whitelist of things that are definitely OK to use.

Even if you decide to make no changes to the ToS, a followup reply here saying so would be appreciated just so I am clear with your stance on the issue. Thanks.

Stef

I don't see any reason for change. It prohibits this thing I want prohibited. I don't see why it would prohibit using broadcast software.

AdamH

Quote from: Stef on 20 October 2017, 12:27:09 PM
I don't see why it would prohibit using broadcast software.

The idea is that broadcast software means that more people view the game and give advice to the player, making them better and giving them a competitive advantage.

But if this is not your interpretation of the rule then I will continue to stream with no wording change.