Announcing Streams with Commentary

Previous topic - Next topic

drsteelhammer

As we are getting closer and closer towards the end of the tournament, the excitement for the remaining matches grows. We will broadcast some of the games with commentary, trying to create a communal viewing experience aswell as a recording of said games for those of you who are interested in watching high level dominion games.

The broadcasts will be saved on twitch and youtube; links will be provided when the match is over. You can catch the action live on:

www.twitch.tv/dominionstreams

If a stream such as this happens, it will be announced in advance in this thread.

drsteelhammer

We'll start off with the Round 5 match of Mercury444F vs. faust.

Burning Skull and I will be commentating. The match starts Wednesday at 9:00UTC, which is in roughly 18,5 hours from this post.

twitch.tv/dominionstreams

edit: here is the video:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/183142666

Sorry for the technical issues, I hope the video is ok regardless.

drsteelhammer

Tomorrow, about 27hours from this post (15UTC), gamesou and Beyond Awesome will face of in their round 5 match. We're glad to have breppert and Mic Qsenoch streaming and commentating the match!

www.twitch.tv/dominionstreams

video: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/183942771

drsteelhammer

Two more r32 streams this Sunday!

8UTC:(11 hours from this post): E.honda vs saaket, commentated by Seprix and markus

16UTC: 19hours from this post): JW-Sicomatic, commentated by Qvist and aku chi

streams will still be over at www.twitch.tv/dominionstreams

drsteelhammer

first game of round 6:

jsh-jeebus in 60minutes!

markus and Anders will stream; link is in every message so far

jeebus

I checked out the match I was in and listened to the commentary. I have to say it was pretty bad. The commentators didn't really know what was going on with our decks or our turns. A lot of the time this was because of all the technical problems of course. But even the last two matches, where two people were commentating, this was often the case. For instance the last game, I had bad draws and saw early on that I was losing (which I even noted in the chat). I didn't even trash my last 2 Estates until almost the end of the game. Nevertheless, one guy thought my deck was better and the other thought that maybe Jsh' deck was a bit better.

Also, why was the commentary mainly focused on Jsh? "He got Bridge Troll." So did I, but no mention of it. "So far Ferry has not been necessary for the Hunting Parties." Not for Jsh, but it had for me. I guess it's because he was the favorite to win? But still, it was pretty odd.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 24 October 2017, 01:54:23 AM
Also, why was the commentary mainly focused on Jsh?
I imagine it's because they chat with him on discord all the time.

markus

I'm open to constructive criticism - that was the second time only that I commentated anything. And it was a pain for some time due to technical problems. Trying to repair them, following 2 players and commentating is not so easy.

In general, it's easier to focus on the first player who is on the bottom, so I think that in any game I would see more and say more on that player. I distinctly remember the Counting House vs Chariot Race and the King's Court-Monument games, in which I was saying more on jeebus's play.

In the last game, I was disconnected and tried to get back on the stream. When I did so, jeebus had a great turn and I saw that he had more Universities and a bunch of Apprentices. So my first guess was that he managed to get ahead and Anders said no. (He was hesitant after some time because I seemed to have a different opinion, which was not based on watching the game.)

drsteelhammer

Sorry Jeebus that you are unsatisfied with the commentary. The truth is, I asked the commentators about an hour before your match started, we didn't even know if we could work out the technicalities until the game start. (I didn't plan for a stream at all initially, it's quite hard to organize within a day).

Also, speaking from experience, commentating is more difficult than it sounds. Articulating yourself (in a foreign language) while making sense is a task in itself, and it's really hard to keep track of the gamestate itself while doing so. Technical problems make this task exponentially worse, of course, especially if you're trying to keep the commentary up while fixing the game. ( I think you can hear the distress from the casters quite clearly). I sure neither Anders nor markus had any animosity towards you, it just sometimes happens that you focus on one deck more than the other (for various good and less good reasons)

Feel free to pm me if you want to try out the streaming thing, I think that's the easiest way to gain appreciation for how difficult it really is.

drsteelhammer

markus-sicomatic in 3hours, 20minutes!

Lalight and Sums will be offering commentary.

twitch.tv/dominionstreams

jeebus

After having to watch ads again and again, I finally managed to watch the video lasting 27:01 minutes. But it ends before the game is over. Is there a way to actually watch the live stream?

Jacob Marley

The stream is garbage (technical criticism, nothing to do with the commentary)

drsteelhammer

trying again, hopefully without issues: in 18hours from this post: DG-mercury444f.

Burning Skull and gloures will be commentating

Mic Qsenoch

We are reaching the end of the 2017 Dominion Online Championship and the following exciting matches are coming to an Internet near you:

Saturday at 15:00 UTC with commentary from Philip and E.Honda
Mercury444F (4) vs Sicomatic (12)

Sunday at 0:00 UTC with commentary from funkdoc and vsiewnar
SamE (40) vs LazyDog (81)

Sunday at 20:00 UTC with commentary from Stef and aku_chi
Dan Brooks (2) vs gamesou (58)

Tuesday at 13:00 UTC with commentary from Seprix and Qvist
jsh357 (19) vs Skies (59)

Keep in mind that your offset from UTC may be changing by an hour between Saturday and Sunday due to daylight savings.

All the matches can be watched at twitch.tv/dominionstreams

Mic Qsenoch

jsh and Skies will play on Tuesday at 13:00 UTC with Seprix and Qvist commentating.