Offensive Language in Chat

Previous topic - Next topic

glups

Hoping a moderator can reach out to me via PM because of an interaction I had during chat in a game today. I've been playing online for many years, and have encountered many people that whined, called me stupid or other curse words, or slow-played when they were losing or got bad draws. However, today was the first time I felt somebody really crossed the line by using derogatory terms that are offensively used towards the LGBTQ community because they were unhappy about how the game went. I really hope the player gets banned as it was definitely shocking and unsettling for me, but I can imagine if the player said this to somebody from the LGBTQ community playing on the site it could be a much more painful experience.

An excerpt below that I censored, although there were multiple uses of the said offensive term in the chat:

"now do the world a favor and go die like the wothless pathetic little f****t you are"

blamelewis

I'd like to second this and add a call for a zero-tolerance of such offensive and derogatory language - when coupled with a death threat I'd argue this is grounds for immediate banning. The fewer places online that will allow such abuse the better.

Tim

jsh

For what it's worth, I have already banned this user several times. He keeps coming back, and until the client has a better way to deal with him, not much can be done.

blamelewis

Thanks jsh - good to know.

Stef - does banning work only on username? Can it be amended to be done by email/IP - or something more robust?

Thanks
Tim

JW

Please add an option to mute chat, that would help with situations such as this one.

Ranna156

there really is a problem with abusive players on this site. Banning seems to not work very well with the mods of this site since banning can be for various reasons. I personally have been told i am high on the ban lists but it is because i don't allow undo's...not for using offensive, derogatory, or abusive language. but whatevs. This place needs a lot of work imo when it comes to user friendliness.

The Hound

Hi, I want to report user Melkor, he said he hoped my kids die of Aids just starting the game and then slowplayed for 45 minutes to finally quit. That behaviour is unacceptable and deserves punishment. Thanks.

jsh

Quote from: The Hound on 21 March 2018, 07:42:37 PM
Hi, I want to report user Melkor, he said he hoped my kids die of Aids just starting the game and then slowplayed for 45 minutes to finally quit. That behaviour is unacceptable and deserves punishment. Thanks.

Please resign and use the blacklist feature instead of playing out these kinds of games. Thanks.

The Hound

Quote from: jsh on 21 March 2018, 08:27:00 PM
Quote from: The Hound on 21 March 2018, 07:42:37 PM

Please resign and use the blacklist feature instead of playing out these kinds of games. Thanks.

Resigning is what he wanted, I can't give him or nobody that satisfaction.

Ingix

You cannot beat those trolls by cooperating (trying to get a win when they slow-play). When you do that, you are giving them the satisfaction that they beat you. They may not have beaten you in the 'who got the recorded win in the database' battle, but they have beaten you in the 'who got to enjoy the game time better' battle. The latter is what they want, not the former.

In addition, once they are identified, their (free) accounts are banned and their rated games invalidated. So if you resign and blacklist them, you will haven beaten them in both battles. The latter (time enjoyment) immediatly, and the former (database win) later. The bad experience will be short and have no rating consequences.

DanielVanciae

I suspect that this user is at it again.  I had a game earlier where my opponent said the same thing in very nearly the same words.  Unlike the previous mentions, he didn't say anything for most of the game and used chat only for this parting shot before resigning, but it was nonetheless extremely rude.  I have blacklisted him.

Thanks to the mods for the maintaining the game and for dealing promptly with this sort of nonsense.

Daniel

cardsarefun

I NEED TO BE BANNED FROM THIS DOMINION GAMEPLAY

I AM ADDICTED AND CANNOT CONTROL IT.

Please close the accounts cardsarefun and wedellwtf

thank you!

Krispy

+1 for mute chat - that would be a very good feature to add.

Krispy

Also giving players a limited number of reports to use each week, so that they could report on the following.
- report player for offensive language
- report player for slow play

If offending players accumulate a certain number of reports over a period of time, then perhaps they can have their chat privileges revoked for a period of time, or perhaps not be allowed to play for a short while.

La-Ya

That sounds like a good idea. While I understand that some people are okay with using swear words casually, I think that everyone should have to treat others with decency.

Also, please ban this guy(ScottEJr207): https://imgur.com/g8PRk4a