How to get abusive people kicked off

Previous topic - Next topic

Madam Kitty

Yet again, for the sin of playing a better game I had someone be abusive and disgusting to me. Of course the incel had to use harrasing sexual imagery to their insult b/c I have a very feminine username. WTF? How do we get rid of this garbage? I pay quite a bit for the ability to play this game. THese people needs to go.

Ingix

The generally suggested approach is to blacklist those players (the lightning symbol on the end-of-game screen), so you are not matched with them again. If lots of blacklists apply to a player, it will be further investiagted, so at some time they will feel the consequences.

In your case, as the chat was insultuing and harassing, you can contact me here via personal message or on discord (@Ingix) and give details, like opponent's name, game number and, if you have them, screenshots. I'll relay those to a person who deals with those complaints.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Madam Kitty on 11 December 2018, 04:02:53 AM
Yet again, for the sin of playing a better game I had someone be abusive and disgusting to me. Of course the incel had to use harrasing sexual imagery to their insult b/c I have a very feminine username. WTF? How do we get rid of this garbage? I pay quite a bit for the ability to play this game. THese people needs to go.

I can imagine that the abuse directed at you was orders of magnitude worse than 'incel' -- but I think that is also an unfortunate pejorative that would send someone here to complain...

santamonica811

Good point, Cave.
If one is going to complain (justly!!!) about written abuse, it's probably best not to commit the same offense.  (I had to Google 'incel' to find out what it means.) 

The use of the term is doubly offensive as it is clearly ad hominem...assuming that the player's sexual activity did not come up in the chat, of course.  :-)

Madam Kitty

actually incel made sense since his comments were about c words and what he thought of women...Next time I'll send a screen shot. Thanks!

DominionWizard

I had player Johnsy openly state he was going to slow down the game to several hours because he felt he got a bad start. He was a 55 level player. He thought I was unworthy and suggested I resign to avoid it. This player stated Dominion no longer bans people like him and reporting him is useless. He also stated he has other accounts. What do you suggest?

Heads Will Roll

Player Johnsy is doing the same thing to me at the moment. He felt I got lucky by round 14 because I built a better deck and decided to start Slow Playing me. Is there anything we can do to this guy since there are multiple instances?

He is taking 4 minutes to play each card.

Here is his text:

Johnsy joined the table.
Joining game #24126625 on frankfurt.
Johnsy:  well lucked
Johnsy:  now u have to earn it
Heads Will Roll:  pfffffft
Heads Will Roll:  What are you even talking about
Johnsy:  u will find out soon enough
Heads Will Roll:  You went for Plazas instead of Governors
Johnsy:  it wont matter lmao

Ingix

MVP

Johnsy is doing it to me right now, just blatantly waiting for me to resign.  Definitely takes all of the fun out of the site.  if this is a recurring problem that is not dealt with and the only recourse is to resign and blacklist, I would definitely question renewing my membership.  There has to be a better way to deal with this strategy.

Ingix

This is something that is done by a very few number of players. The main point is: If a player who is affected by a slowplayer just resigns and blacklists, that player is no longer affected. I understand that one feels powerless against slowplayers and wants retaliation, but the most power we give them by actually dealing with them. Resign and blacklist, and move on, and you had 5 min of a bad experience and not an hour.

gitsticker8

It doesn't take a lot of players to ruin the experience for many.  The issue is game design.  Too much time is allowed and it's too easy to abuse!

ElisabetK

You know what might be helpful? When slow play is detected, offer the other player an opportunity to stop the game and blacklist the player - perhaps with a message that this will not affect the player's ratings if the other player is banned.

The problem with Ingx's solution is that it is not obvious and is not in-game - sure, some people do come over here to complain and the solution is offered, but the vast majority do not. They just have a bad experience and don't want to come back.

Even a notification (like those tournament notices) on the front page would be better than nothing. But even better would be a message popping up after an opponent goes more than, say, three minutes without playing.

Felendis

Quote from: Ingix on 03 March 2019, 11:12:30 PM
I understand that one feels powerless against slowplayers and wants retaliation, but the most power we give them by actually dealing with them. Resign and blacklist, and move on, and you had 5 min of a bad experience and not an hour.
I would argue that people aren't looking for retaliation, they are looking for justice. When someone blatantly breaks the rules and the response is "just ignore them", that is a very deflating feeling and not something I would guess most people want to put money behind.

I would assume the people that this bothers take their rating seriously because they are competitive or use it as a barometer to measure their own improvement, so when they are cheated it is a very frustrating experience. And when they pay for this service, and nothing is done to 1) fix this problem for them or 2) prevent this cheater from harming other people, then it just makes things that much worse.

I am sorry, but the solution to just resign and ignore them is not good enough, we the players deserve better.

ElisabetK

You know what? There is a HUGE difference between using the term "incel" to describe a person using abusive language targeting a persons gender, and bringing that abusive language and imagery into the game in the first place. And I'll add, unlike the terms directed toward Miss Kitty, "incel" isn't an obscenity.

Would it be better if she called him a jerk? How about asshole? Or dick? She was playing a game and this *** called her a c*nt.

A user tried to report a case of abuse, and was told to suck it up, take care of it herself, and let the abuser continue to roam the community and unleash his attacks on other unsuspecting players. On top of that she was criticized for using a term to describe his behavior which honestly seems to fit pretty well.

Ingix

You don't fight abusive behavior by using abusive language yourself. In my view, words like "cunt" or "incel" are used to demean the other person. Of course the opponent of Madam Kitty started, but calling them them a jerk, asshole or something similar here would IMO be totally OK for me.