Game play with levels

Previous topic - Next topic

artsfols

I generally like the feature, however ...

I'm playing at level 6, which gives me a total pool of 270+ cards.  So this is an intermediate, not beginner, level.

Compared to 'silver level' expansions, which I used to play exclusively, the game play is significantly different.

When I played silver level expansions (which means all the expansions available to a silver level subscriber) many of the games reduced to building +action/ draw chains as quickly as possible.  Whoever built the most effective action/ draw chain the quickest would tend to win. 

At level 6 I never run into this strategy.  There don't seem to be enough trash/ +action/ draw cards in most decks to make this a feasible approach.  I'm not sure this is bad, but certainly is different.

What I found looking through the levels is that many of the over-powered cards available as a silver level subscriber are now deferred to level 10.  I see 12 'silver level' cards not introduced until level 10 including Prince, Captain, Black Market, Tournament, Grand Market, Governor, Horn of Plenty and Peddler.   Those are all interesting cards and I wonder if some should come into play at lower levels.

A couple of thoughts:
I hope the purpose of levels is not to introduce concepts and cards in order of difficulty.  To my mind, the purpose should be solely to allow learning cards in blocks - and why not have some tricky cards at lower levels.
That being said, I'm not sure why, at level 6, I'm consistently not getting enough +action cards to chain actions.  But ... I hope that the developers feel free to shift a card or two around to balance things up based on play testing. Has anyone looked at the kinds of decks you get at each of the different levels?