A bot tournament - any programmer can enter

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertz Doughnut

After reading the AI bug thread, it's obvious that writing a good AI is hard. But there are a lot of coders here among the Dominion Online community, so maybe we can harness that intellectual capital by making a game out of making a good bot...

- Devise a way for players to upload their own bot-scripts and have them compete against each other (something like Geronimoo's scripts?)

- Hold a bot tournament

- The winner is crowned Lord Rattingham for a month until the next bot tournament

Chime in if you'd be interested in submitting an entry to the bot tournament. I'd do it.

Keep up the good work, SI!

schadd

bury me with my money

Titandrake

Note there's a difference between bots that are good and bots that are fun to play. There are people who will play mostly against bots, and you don't want them to lose all the time.

Stef

Quote from: Titandrake on 20 December 2016, 04:34:41 AM
There are people who will play mostly against bots, and you don't want them to lose all the time.
I think we managed to avoid that problem ;)

But more seriously - it would be nice to have much better bots, and just let you pick a level.
It would also be nice to have a little bit better bots, because now the bot is doing some really awkward moves.

The main problem here is development time. So far I've been able to spend 1 week on setting the AI up and 1 week on strategy, which was just way too little to get a grip on 300+ cards.

I hope we will find much more time to work on this in 2017, and when we do creating the possibility for others to write bots will certainly be part of it. Not because I think it will save time, but mostly because it could be a lot of fun for people to write them and see how they play.