Dominion Online Official FAQ

Previous topic - Next topic

werothegreat

If your question is not answered here, you can always post on the Support subforum, or join Shuffle iT's Discord channel at https://discord.gg/MU8YJaR.  If you are new to the game, why not check out our Welcome to Dominion Online post?

Getting Started

• Where do I go to play?  The URL for Dominion Online is https://dominion.games.
  • I used an older digital Dominion implementation, why can't I log in?  If you had an account with a previous implementation, your username from that implementation has been reserved.  However, you will need to create a new account for Shuffle iT's implementation.  You should have received an email from noreply@shuffleit.nl at the start of January 2017, describing how you can create your account.  If you have not received this email, or are having trouble, please contact a moderator or member of the development team either in the Support subforum here, or on Shuffle iT's Discord channel.
  • How can I make a new account?  Click the Sign Up button on the login screen and follow the instructions.  This will give you access to the cards of the Base Set, and you can always purchase a subscription for more.
  • Can I play offline or on my mobile device?  Unfortunately not.  Our development team is working on it, however.
  • What browsers/OS's are supported?  Dominion Online is fully supported on Chrome and Firefox for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.  It also runs on the latest version of Safari, but older versions are not guaranteed to work.  Dominion Online will run on iPad and Android tablets, but may experience some slight technical issues.  Phones are not supported at this time.
  • How do I change languages?  To change languages, you must log out of the game, so that you're on the login screen.  There is a list of languages on the left side of this screen; click the one you prefer, then login.  Dominion Online currently supports Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, and Russian.

Subscriptions

• I already bought all the expansions on a previous implementation, why do I have to buy them again?  Dominion Online operates on a subscription system.  If you had purchased any sets on a previous iteration of online Dominion, you will receive a subscription up to January 2018 to those sets at no charge.  However, after that time, you will need to renew your subscription to continue playing with them.  You can also subscribe to additional expansions at any time; if you do, you will only be charged for the sets that you do not currently have.
  • Do all my friends have to buy their own subscriptions?  When setting up a game with another player, you can use any of the cards that either of you are subscribed to.  So if one player has subscribed to all cards, and another has a free account, they can still play with all the cards together.  In this case, it operates exactly like bringing your own expansions to a friendly board game night - everyone gets to play with whatever is brought to the table.
  • I thought I had bought everything, why does the store say I haven't?  When new content is added to Dominion Online, it is not added automatically to a full subscription for free. You will have to subscribe separately to the new content.  This does mean that Gold subscriptions will get more expensive over time as new sets are released.
  • I have a bonus code from a physical set, how do I redeem it?  Go to the Account tab, and you will find a field to validate your code.  A bonus code can be redeemed for a year's subscription to any set of the same size or smaller of the set you got the bonus code from.  (Large expansions are Dark Ages, Adventures, Empires, Nocturne; medium expansions are Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Renaissance; small expansions are Alchemy, Cornucopia, Guilds.)  Currently, only the German version of the Second Edition of the Base Set comes with a bonus code.  Bonus codes from some first edition physical sets were meant for a previous implementation of online Dominion, and are no longer valid.

Cards and Content

• Some cards are missing from the Base Set and Intrigue, where are they?  In 2016, Dominion began to be republished under a Second Edition.  For the most part, this simply meant tidying up card text and adding gender-neutral wordings, but a handful of cards each were removed from the Base Set and Intrigue, and replaced with new cards.  It is believed by the designer and playtesters that these changes have made the first two sets of Dominion more well-balanced, and more enjoyable to play.  Shuffle iT has no plans to implement the cards that were removed.
  • Where is Stash, and why is it banned?  Unfortunately, Stash has not yet been implemented.  Our development team is working on it, however.
  • Where are the Campaigns?  While we all enjoyed the Campaigns of previous online Dominion iterations, we do not have a similar feature at this time.  Our development team is working on it, however.
  • Why do my games only have cards from the Base Set?  Check your familiar cards settings.  If you haven't checked anything outside of the Base Set as familiar, then you'll only get Base Set cards when you set up a table.

Gameplay and Interface

• Why can't I host a game?  In order to host a game, you must first confirm your email address.  This can be done under the Account tab.
  • How do I look at the text of a card?  Simply right-click on a card to get an enlarged view of it, including its text.  Then click anywhere else on the screen to dismiss this.  You can also right click on card names in the log for the same effect.
  • How can I see the bottom card of a split pile, or all the Knights, Ruins or Castles?  Click "Kingdom" in the top right corner of the screen to see all cards (apart from Basic ones) present in the game.
  • How can I see what cards I have on mats, or Duration cards played last turn?  Hover your mouse over a player's name, and the log will be replaced with the contents of that player's mats, and any Durations in play from a previous turn.
  • How can I call a Reserve card?  When a Reserve can be called, or when you need to choose the order of effects, one or more buttons will appear above and to the right of your hand.
  • Where's the Trade Route mat?  Unfortunately this is not yet implemented.  Our development team is working on it, however.
  • Which side of the Journey token is which?  If the Journey token is showing a boot, it is face up.  If it is a green circle, it is face down.
  • What's up with Black Market?  Black Market has been changed a bit from how it has previously been implemented.  Cards that would require extra Setup that is not already present in the game will not appear in the Black Market deck (so no Baker, Peasant, Hermit, or the like; no Potion-costing cards if there aren't any visible in the Kingdom, etc.).  Cards that use a mat (Reserves, Island, Native Village) may appear.  The Black Market deck on Dominion Online consists of 60 cards, and the deck is shuffled after all the cards have been seen.  Because of this, the order the cards are returned to the deck when not bought does not matter, and the player is not given the option to choose.  The contents of the Black Market deck are not revealed at the start of the game.
  • Can I undo more than one step at a time?  Yes, just type "/undo" in the chat, without quotes, and a dot will appear at each step in the log.  Click the dot at the step you wish to go back to.
  • My opponent is taking a really long time to do anything, is that allowed?  We can all take a while to think about our decisions sometimes, but if a player is consistently taking an inordinate amount of time to perform every single thing they do, this is called "slowplaying", and is not allowed on Dominion Online.  If you run into such a player, you can Blacklist them at the end of the game, and if they are particularly egregious in this behavior, you can report them to a moderator or member of the development team on the Support subforum, or the Shuffle iT Discord channel.
  • My opponent is refusing my undo requests, is that allowed?  Yes, it is. It is the right of every player to refuse an undo request.  If you don't like it, you can always Blacklist a player for any reason (or no reason), but such behavior does not merit reporting.
  • What's the point of making someone my friend?  You can see if a player is online if you mark them as a friend, via the Matching screen.  There you can also join a table that a friend has set up.
  • Can I change the background art? Yes, just type "/bg #", without quotes, with a number from 0 to 10 in place of the "#" symbol, to choose a different background.
  • I'm stuck in a game, what do I do? or What is "kicking"?  On the login screen, there is the option to "kick" out any other instances where you are currently logged in.  Doing so will log you in on the instance you do this from, and log you out everywhere else, and also end any game that you're in the middle of playing.  "Kick & Resign" does the same thing.  This can be useful if the game crashes and you get stuck with a loading screen.  If you experience such a problem, please report it on the Bug Reports subforum so our development team can look into it and hopefully fix it.

JW

This is great. It should be the main stickied version, and Chris's unofficial FAQ should be un-stickied. Can you add what browsers are supported?

Quote from: werothegreat on 22 September 2017, 03:48:54 AM
How can I see what cards I have on mats, or Duration cards played last turn?

This text should be bolded.

Also, if the thread for this is locked, I will not mind this comment being moved to a "comments" thread. :-)

werothegreat

Quote from: JW on 22 September 2017, 04:07:32 AM
This is great. It should be the main stickied version, and Chris's unofficial FAQ should be un-stickied. Can you add what browsers are supported?

Fixed!  And I am not sure which browsers are supported, will ask.

yed

Quote from: werothegreat on 22 September 2017, 04:22:56 AM
Quote from: JW on 22 September 2017, 04:07:32 AM

Fixed!  And I am not sure which browsers are supported, will ask.
SUPPORTED SYSTEMS & BROWSERS

JW

Black Market can be confusing because the online implementation does not match the wording on the card. Ideally the text of Black Market would be updated to reflect the current functionality.

In the meantime, it would be helpful to add description of how Black Market works to this FAQ.

Q. Why can't I choose the order of cards that I put back in the Black Market deck?

A. In a rule change for online play, Black Market doesn't allow you to choose the order you put cards back in and is shuffled each time after every card in it has been seen, and you can't see the Black Market deck before the game begins. Also note that the Black Market always begins the game with 60 cards, and it won't contain any cards that would alter the kingdom setup.

The following post describing new rules http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1226.0 should also be updated to add the bolded text: Black Market doesn't allow you to choose the order you put cards back in and is shuffled each time after every card in it has been seen, and you can't see the Black Market deck before the game begins

Quote from: -Stef- on 25 November 2016, 02:25:58 PM
These are the rules for the Black Market deck we'll use on January 1st:
- the deck has 60 random cards you own.
- after every cycle it gets shuffled.
- the decks contents are unknown at the start of the game
- there won't be anything in the deck that would require additional setup.
   -> You'll never find tournament, young witch, hermit, urchin, page, peasant, baker, trade route or pirate ship.
   -> Only when the kingdom already has (potions, spoils, ruins), you might find those cards in the deck.
   -> Cards that require extra mats (island, native village) are allowed in the deck.

JW

QuoteWhat's the point of making someone my friend?  You can see if a player is online if you mark them as a friend, via the Matching screen.  There you can also join a table that a friend has set up.

You should also mention that a friend can always join your table, regardless of rating restrictions.

One consequence of this is that, even though there isn't an option to have a "friends-only" table yet, setting min and max relative rating to zero can effectively do that.

Quote from: tufftaeh on 14 September 2017, 12:31:07 AM
Have you tried to set "Min relative rating" and "Max relative rating" both to zero in the "Advanced Options" after creating a new table? For me, that works fine and only my friends can join as players.

JW

When a box appears (like Black Market's choice of three cards to buy), clicking in the box but not on one of the three cards moves the box from the top to the bottom of the screen (so it no longer covers the Kingdom cards). However, this functionality is not documented anywhere in the client. It should be documented in the client when it could be used, but in the meantime it would be good to put it in the FAQ.  (Cross-posted in interface and FAQ posts)

Loulou

What a nice surprise this morning, my Dominion in French, I am very happy! Loulou

Seabird88

I have a question.  So many times right before I win, the opponent will resign.  How does this effect ranks for them and for me for that game? I usually blacklist them when this happens.  It is a pet peeve.

Thanks,

Seabird88

Ingix

If your opponent resigns, they loose the game, and you win. And that result is used for the ranking, so you get your deserved win for ranking purposes (and they the loss).

SkyHard

or join Shuffle iT's Discord channel at https://discord.gg/MU8YJaR.

Does that still work? I tried and got an Invite invalid or expired error.

Ingix

Try https://discord.gg/MsEuwUr

The discord server is reworked at the moment, maybe that's the reason for the old one no longer working.

natter

Wie kann ich ein Spiel mit denselben Karten wiederholen?

Ingix

Das geht leider nicht "mit ein paar Klicks". Die einfachste Möglichkeit ist, sich die Nummer des Spiels zu notieren. Die befindet sich am Anfang des Spiellogs (während des Spieles) und im Chat (grün, "Joining game XYZ on Tokyo/Frankfurt/..., während des Spiels und im end-of-game screen.

Dann verlässt man den Tisch, klickt auf "Neuer Tisch", dann "Altes Spiel laden", gibt die Spielenummer ein und klickt auf "Spiel laden". Dann klickt man auf "Bot hinzufügen", bis die alte Spieleranzahl erreicht ist.

Als wichtigsten Schritt gibt man bei "Entscheidung" links 0 ein, sonst beginnt das Spiel da, wo das alte aufgehört hat. Dann klickt man auf "Spiel laden", und die 0 sollte nun auch direkt hinter (rechts) von "Entscheidung" stehen. Mit klick auf "Bereit" geht das Spiel los.

Falls man mit einem Meinschen spielt, muss derjenige dann wieder am Tisch teilnehmen, dann fällt "Bot hinzufügen" natürlich weg.